Greetings

  • good day
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2011
      Greetings Everyone. I am thrilled to be included in this List. I am new not only to the SCA(less than a year)but to leather work as well. Currently my intrest lies in the actual tanning of leather and furs. I was wondering if anyone has any info on tanning period furs. I have managed to find info on leather but not fur pelts except that they were used. I am looking specifically for the process used. Any ideas on where to find this info is greatly appreciated!
      Aldreda
      (mka shar)
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
        We visited a tannery while we were in Devon. They worked with hair-on hides, rather than clean leather. Basically they allumn tawed them, but obviously they used slightly more modern concocsions. I think that they then worked oil into them to keep them supple.

        Good luck

        Colin

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
          Greetings,

          The leather [article? booklet? treatise?] about halfway down the page
          may be of some help. I didn't read it yet, I only got to download it....

          http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/pubs_archive.htm

          -Carowyn

          > Currently my interest lies in the actual tanning of leather and
          > furs. I was wondering if anyone has any info on tanning period furs.
          Obama Urges Homeowners to Refinance
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d4c83fb8b812485bm02duc
        • good day
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
            @Colin-I was aware of the alum tawing. I do not use that technique. I do brain/veg. tanning not that it matters. What I am looking for is documentation regarding the actual process used in the middle ages. You didn't happen to come across any books or other reference material when on your travels? I have found quite a bit of info on leather but not specifically furs.
            @Carowyn- I have also downloaded that file.(took forever)but found nothing on Furs. Some neat stuff on shoes though!!
            Thanks Folks
            Aldreda
          • Ben Arnold
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 5, 2011
              -Carowyn

              Your link for the leatherworking treatise did not work for me.  There is an
              unnecessary space, which I closed up, but it still does not get me to the site.
              Would you please check the address and re-post it?

              Thank you.

              Ben Arnold
               "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor
              Hardin
            • J W
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 5, 2011
                I tried the link nd it worked for me.. Just takes forever to load.  You might try their main site...

                http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/resources.htm

                Here is a repost of the original link in case it might work now.
                http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/pubs_archive.htm

                Regards
                J.W in Oklahoma

                “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” ~Robert Louis Stevenson “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                  Nothing I'm afraid, it was just a holiday and I said, 'that looks interesting'. Sorry.

                  Colin

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                    The Plictho of Gioanventura Rosetti (1548) has a whole section on dressing and dying leathers for different uses.

                    James

                    > To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: nock_6@...
                    > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 01:03:15 +0000
                    > Subject: [medieval-leather] Greetings
                    >
                    > Greetings Everyone. I am thrilled to be included in this List. I am new not only to the SCA(less than a year)but to leather work as well. Currently my intrest lies in the actual tanning of leather and furs. I was wondering if anyone has any info on tanning period furs. I have managed to find info on leather but not fur pelts except that they were used. I am looking specifically for the process used. Any ideas on where to find this info is greatly appreciated!
                    > Aldreda
                    > (mka shar)

                  • 4 lil monkeys
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                      Ben-the link takes a long time to load. Its over 300 pages of info with alot of pictures.
                      Carowyn- I did manage to find a small reference to furs just took some careful reading better yet I found a reference for a book that I am now tring to track down which may contain the info I am looking for.
                      -Aldreda-
                    • Mike Tartaglio
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                        Hi, Aldreda. You might want to try "Leather Manufacture in the
                        post-Medieval period with special reference to Northamptonshire" by Roy
                        Thomson reprinted from Post Medieval Archaeology 15 (1981) for the
                        Museum of Leathercraft. It is a booklet sold in the giftshop at
                        Northampton Leathercraft Museum. It talks about the processes of tanning
                        and tawing as practiced in Northampton and other places in the 15th
                        through 17th C. Cheers, Mike T.