Re: [medieval-leather] Fwd: [WKneedle] Fw: applique on leather - Research Help Requested

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
      That's one of those odd ones. Western Europe didn't seem to take to
      leather on leather applique. Many embroidery techniques were used on
      leather goods in both thread (most often silk, on the surviving
      objects) and fine metal wire; but for whatever reason, applique
      didn't seem to be common enough to show up in the surviving objects
      (at least in the fair number of sources I have available...)

      There were some examples from the East; as early as the Sythian's and
      a lot of the Mongol evolutions used the technique on a lot of things;
      and I _think_ I've seen it used on some Persian horse tack...

      I'll put it on the back burner, as I go rooting for other research...

      At 01:16 PM 1/19/2011, Lucy Rose Falconer forwarded:
      >Forwarding here - the other list is embroidery/needlework - I don't have
      >resources to help, but does someone on here?
      >
      >-- Lady

      al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
      Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
      ronch2@... or afn03234@...
    • Leslie Cox
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
        Thanks, Ron - forwarding to original requestor also...

        -- Smiles, Lucy Rose

        On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@...> wrote:

        > That's one of those odd ones. Western Europe didn't seem to take to
        > leather on leather applique. Many embroidery techniques were used on
        > leather goods in both thread (most often silk, on the surviving
        > objects) and fine metal wire; but for whatever reason, applique
        > didn't seem to be common enough to show up in the surviving objects
        > (at least in the fair number of sources I have available...)
        >
        > There were some examples from the East; as early as the Sythian's and
        > a lot of the Mongol evolutions used the technique on a lot of things;
        > and I _think_ I've seen it used on some Persian horse tack...
        >
        > I'll put it on the back burner, as I go rooting for other research...
        >
        > At 01:16 PM 1/19/2011, Lucy Rose Falconer forwarded:
        >
        > >Forwarding here - the other list is embroidery/needlework - I don't have
        > >resources to help, but does someone on here?
        > >
        > >-- Lady

      • Henry Plouse
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
          I've seen examples of fabric on leather applique from the late Roman period and from one Persian source (Sassanid), but I cannot say I've seen leather on leather applique.  Then again, that could well be "archaeological skew" - you're only going to see stuff like that preserved in very dry desert climates or very wet boggy areas and even then it's luck of the draw whether or not something will be dropped or buried, whether something that was dropped or buried would be preserved,  and whether it will be found, even if preserved, so the available archaeological sample is simply too small, too intermittent, and too unrepresentative to say much definitive.  All I can say is that there's no historical reason to rule out the technique.  I can certainly point to illustrations and sculptures which MIGHT represent it, such as in an early portrait of Heraclius I recall seeing  (but the nature of the illustration doesn't leave much clue to the actual
          technique).

          YOS,
          ALRIC

          Thanks, Ron - forwarding to original requestor also...

          -- Smiles, Lucy Rose

          On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@...> wrote:

          > That's one of those odd ones. Western Europe didn't seem to take to
          > leather on leather applique. Many embroidery techniques were used on
          > leather goods in both thread (most often silk, on the surviving
          > objects) and fine metal wire; but for whatever reason, applique
          > didn't seem to be common enough to show up in the surviving objects
          > (at least in the fair number of sources I have available...)
          >
          > There were some examples from the East; as early as the Sythian's and
          > a lot of the Mongol evolutions used the technique on a lot of things;
          > and I _think_ I've seen it used on some Persian horse tack...
          >
          > I'll put it on the back burner, as I go rooting for other research...
          >
          > At 01:16 PM 1/19/2011, Lucy Rose Falconer forwarded:
          >
          > >Forwarding here - the other list is embroidery/needlework - I don't have
          > >resources to help, but does someone on here?
          > >
          > >-- Lady

        • R Schooley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2011
            I remember coming acrossa number of Ottoman Turkish coats and even a tent that
            were decorated with leather appliques. I'm pretty sure I know where I saw them
            but I'll have to dig through my books to find the exact reference.

            Rebecca

            Forwarding here - the other list is embroidery/needlework - I don't have
            resources to help, but does someone on here?

            -- Lady Lucy Rose Falconer

            From: Denise McMahon <denise@... <denise%40shado.info>>
            Subject: applique on leather
            To: delangelia@... <delangelia%40yahoo.com>
            Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 8:31 AM

            Greetings to the Esteemed Guild Minister!

            I have a friend who is working on a leather project- a pilgrims' bag witha
            device appliqued onto the bag.  The device and bag are made from leather.
            She is having a bit of difficulty finding any documentation on leather
            applique and I was wondering if you, or your Guild would have any
            information that could help her.

            I would be grateful for any assistance you could lend.

            My thanks and my wished for a good and warm day to you during this winter
            chill!

            Countess Rowan Berran McDowell
            Atlantia

            I praise you for your success in being you; you praise me for my success in
            being me. In your purity you make me pure. In your wholeness you make me
            whole. In my service you serve me. I bow to all, because I bow to you.

            -Hallaj: Tawasin