Lucky Me! And some questions

  • Freyadis Steinsdottir
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      Tonight I went to the butchers and picked up six fresh lamb hides from my
      friend's flock. They are all rare breeds, Shetland, Cotswold and Icelandic.
      At the moment they are outside on a huge snow drift at -12C (10F) (air temp,
      with the projection to go to -20C) cooling off and I have them skin side up.

      Last year I had salted them and stacked them right off, but the blood stains
      on the white wool would not come out with washing at all. It seems the salt
      sets the blood stain. The tanning solution really stuck to the blooded
      areas and stayed stained. Are there any products out there that I can wash
      the blood out of the wool with that will not interfere with tanning or
      ruining the wool before the hides are salted and dried? I plan on using a
      compleatly modern acid/washable tan kit that gave me very good results last
      year. I don't have the space to do medieval tanning at the moment. Too
      stinky for my basement inside in winter!

      YIS
      Freyadis