Seeking info. Spur leathers

  • Erik
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
      Most reasearch I've seen are 'basic' straps a simple band for an upper and lower.
      In "Medieval Costume and Accessories" on page 344 is an example of a 'basic' upper decorated with metal or enameled plates.
      In "The medieval horse and its equipment", there are descriptions of Spur leathers with "Wide uppers" and decorated... I'm looking to find an example extant or secondary (effigy, painting etc.) of a 'wide upper' spur leather. I know the the 'modern western' style is 'right out' however I'm wondering when the wide upper came into effect, in or out of period?

      Thanks for any help!
      Æiric
    • babiemine@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
        Eric,

        Done lots of research on pre-1325 and don't remember ever seeing anything that looks like a wide top strap.

        Sir Daivd

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
          Are you certain that it's the spur and not the stirup that has the wide leather?

          Colin

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
            Yes the section is specifically describing Spur Leathers (stirrups come later)... which is what has intrigued me on this...

            one quote:

            "The degree of decoration on some of these items exceeds that on the small number of identified spur straps from excavations. The present straps also include some that are wider than any others which have so far been identified with spurs. While these points do not invalidate the identification, they reinforce the impression that these particular straps were not ordinary workaday items but from some wealthier backgrounds in which ostentation was important."

            Æiric