Leather Dice Cups

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      I am doing some preliminary planning for my next college reunion. At our last reunion, I made leather business card holders for my old classmates and leather roses for their wives or girl friends. For the upcoming reunion, I'd like very much to make dice cups for my classmates. I have not decided on what to m ake their wives, etc.

      I've seen many photos of dice cups. They're simple enough and I can probably create plans from the photos, especially if they include dimensions of height and diameter. However, it would be much easier if I could get some plans and maybe even a template for them. I have about fifteen to make and have plenty of time, but I need to get started before much longer.

      [I have downloaded some photos of ancient European dice made of bone and other natural materials and I might take a stab at making some of those, as well. I believe I can wing it on those, since they are simple cubes of bone, or whatever, and the numbers of dots on each side isn't done the same way as present-day dice. The photos I downloaded include their dimensions and the numbering scheme for each type. These go back more than a thousand years.]

      Does anyone have any plans or instructions for making dice cups? I'd be particularly interested in ancient styles.

      Thank you in advance.

      Ben Arnold
      Ft. Lauderdale
    • Gary Wood
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        Ben

        Tandy Leather Company has a book called, "The Art of Making Leather Cases" by Al
        Stohlman that has a dice cup pattern.  I made one just by fitting a rectangle of
        leather around a soda can, cutting a bottom piece to fit, tooling and dieing the
        leather, then lace stitching it together.  A Koozie will fit nicely inside if
        you want padding.

        Regards
        Master Edward DuBios
        Duchy of Bisqaia
        Adrian Empire

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
          The easiest thing I can think of is to use a juice glass as a form - just soak a suitably sized strip of veg tanned leather (4-6 oz.) in 165 degree water for about 1 minute, wrap the strip around the juice glass with enough overlap to allow sewing, lacing, or gluing the pieces together when dried, and fasten with string or tape until it sets up.

          Plan on the strip overlapping the bottom of the glass by about 1/2 to 1 inch.  Then cut a circle a bit bigger than the size of the bottom, soak it in 165 degree water and press it into  the bottom, pressing it flat against the bottom of the glass and forming the bottom overlap against the side piece overlap (if you do this quickly, you can get a great seal, pressing and forming the bottom piece into the hollow, since the bottom piece will be highly "plastic" and formable).  That can then be glued or sewn to the overlap once the pieces have hardened and the whole trimmed up as necessary.

          Alternately, you can use a circular piece of wood as the base, gluing (I like "Tanner's" - or "Feibing's" - "Leather Weld") and then using upholstery tacks to further fasten the side pieces to the wood base.  Very decorative.  Plus, if you have a full set of juice glasses, you can set up a half dozen or dozen at a time.

          To harden the piece, I like to use Minwax wood finish (either clear or in any number of wood tones - "Pecan" is particularly attractive).  Two coats will thoroughly infiltrate the leather both hardening and coating it.

          I use a similar technique to make hardened leather quivers (usually forming it around a piece of plastic piping) and they stand up to a lot of use and abuse.  In fact, if you want to mass produce these cups, you can just wrap a large piece of leather around a suitably sized piece of PCP piping and, once it has hardened, you can simply cut the cups to the length desired and apply the bases as required.

          Granted, PCP piping, juice glasses, and Minwax are not "period", but the end result certainly looks it.

          YOS,
          ALRIC

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            Did I say "PCP"?  I meant PVC - musta been high when I wrote that...

            YOS,
            ALRIC

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
              I make dice cups brother, Simple enough. My leather shop had some rounds cut. A rectangular body, two rounds and then three strips. One on the outside top, outside bottom and then one on the inside top to make sure the dice don't conveniently slide out for those who may not be on the up and up. I stitch everything save for the rounds in the bottom. Those are glued.

              Take a look at sagelionleather.com and scroll a little bit. They can be used for pens or whatnot also. Women seem to dig them as well.

              Take a gander and best of luck,

              Captain Bryan C. Dunn
              The Sage Lion

              thesagelion.com

              To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
              From: benarnoldjr@...
              Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 23:51:34 +0000

[...]

            • Diane Sawyer Dooley
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
                Heck, ya want pre-cut rounds, Tandy sells them. And Weaver, I think.

                Tasha