Re: [medieval-leather] Splits

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
      Splits are a fairly modern trick. It takes a pretty precise machine
      to break a thick hide into a top grain and one or more splits.

      To get a thin leather, a medieval leather maker would basically shave
      down the flesh side until the leather was thin enough, or simply
      start with a thinner hide to begin with. If they wanted a suede,
      they would raise a nap on the grain side.

      That said, splits are perfectly good economical leather (especially
      when it's free or inexpensive).

      At 06:16 PM 9/19/2010, Jon wrote:
      >Don't remember seeing any specific information so I thought I toss this one
      >out here. Do any of you use splits for pouch projects? I've been offered
      >some deer splits and thought they would make some spiffy pouches and
      >linings. Most of the extant pieces I'm aware of aren't but there are a lot
      >more eyes here so I'm polling the group. Thanks in advance.

    • Ginny Phillips
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
        I would be interested in hearing about raising a nap on leather to create a
        suedelike finish. Can you point me in a direction to learn more about this as a
        technique in the medieval period? Thanks so much!

        Ginny Phillips

        ________________________________

        At 06:16 PM 9/19/2010, Jon wrote:
        >Don't remember seeing any specific information so I thought I toss this one
        >out here. Do any of you use splits for pouch projects? I've been offered
        >some deer splits and thought they would make some spiffy pouches and
        >linings. Most of the extant pieces I'm aware of aren't but there are a lot
        >more eyes here so I'm polling the group. Thanks in advance.

      • Michael Parker
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
          One important point to remember if you're concerned with historical
          accuracy. In my brief foray into medieval shoe designs, I learned that
          using split leather is fine as long as you use don't use the middle split.
          As for getting the suede finish, do you mean like the rough side of the
          leather? Then again, I may not be thinking of the same thing you're
          describing.

          ~Valinn

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
            At 09:01 PM 9/19/2010, you wrote:
            >I would be interested in hearing about raising a nap on leather to create a
            >suedelike finish. Can you point me in a direction to learn more
            >about this as a
            >technique in the medieval period? Thanks so much!
            >
            >Ginny Phillips

            The technique is called "Frizing" (at least that's the name I was
            introduced to it as). It uses a scraper-type knife. It's how the
            surface of true "Buff" leather was treated. (That originally came
            from Waterer's _Leather Craftsmanship_)

            The same technique could be found as spot decoration on a few
            scabbards and surviving shoes, such as a couple of examples in _Shoes
            and Pattens_ (circa 14th century).

            Those are the specifics I can dig up quickly.

          • Ginny Phillips
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
              Excellent! That gives me some information to start digging. Thank you!

              Ginny

              ________________________________

            • jon@armlann.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 21, 2010
                What do you mean by middle split? I'm not familiar with that one.
                Great info here. Thanks to all

                BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
                Jon
                On Mon 20/09/10 3:38 PM , Michael Parker ArchAngel13@... sent:
                wrote:

                > I would be interested in hearing about raising a nap on leather to
                create a

                > suedelike finish. Can you point me in a direction to learn more
                about this
                > as a
                > technique in the medieval period? Thanks so much!
                >
                > Ginny Phillips
                >
                > ________________________________

                (Yahoo! ID required)
                To change settings via email:
                medieval-leather-digest@yahoogroups.com [8]
                medieval-leather-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com [9]
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [11]

                Links:
                ------
                [1] mailto:gillianwarrender@...
                [2] mailto:ronch2@...
                [3] mailto:medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
                [4] mailto:ronch2@...
                [5] mailto:afn03234@...
                [8] mailto:medieval-leather-digest@yahoogroups.com
                [9] mailto:medieval-leather-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                [11] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • jon@armlann.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2010
                  I guess I'm asking if folks here would use splits for their more
                  accurate projects? Yes, I'm trying to talk myself into buying the
                  deer splits. Its a great deal but I'm not sure splits are OK.
                  Medieval leather workers wouldn't have had anything quite like modern
                  splits. The more I write the more I think I'll just get some for
                  linings.

                  Jon

                  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
                  On Sun 19/09/10 6:59 PM , Ron Charlotte ronch2@... sent:

                  ronch2@... [1] OR afn03234@... [2]
                  (Yahoo! ID required)
                  To change settings via email:
                  medieval-leather-digest@yahoogroups.com [5]
                  medieval-leather-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com [6]
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [8]

                  Links:
                  ------
                  [1] mailto:ronch2@...
                  [2] mailto:afn03234@...
                  [5] mailto:medieval-leather-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  [6] mailto:medieval-leather-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                  [8] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Michael Parker
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2010
                    Jon,

                    If you look at a piece of raw leather in profile, you have the smooth
                    surface from the outside of the animal on one side, and the flesh side where
                    it was removed from said animal on the other. If you then physically split
                    the piece of leather into 3 or more layers, any of the layers out of the
                    middle are 'center splits' (the term I meant to use rather than 'middle
                    split'). They basically have a suede finish on both sides. From what I
                    understand, the archeological record includes no artifacts with leather in
                    this condition from the medieval period.

                    If I am mistaken in this understanding, please, someone, let me know.

                    Thanks,
                    Michael