Sealing Dye

  • Isak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2010
      OK, here is something. I have a nice dark walnut ink, I am going to use it to dye some leather. I am looking for ideas on how to seal it. Please let me know what you all think. Neatsfoot Oil first comes to mind. Though my favorite is Resolene though.

      Thanks
      Michael Walden
    • Chris Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2010
        Satin Shene comes to mind even though it would not be period. Not sure how
        neetsfoot would work out with that. Try a test sample and let us know.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2010
          At 07:26 AM 7/15/2010, you wrote:
          >OK, here is something. I have a nice dark walnut ink, I am going to
          >use it to dye some leather. I am looking for ideas on how to seal
          >it. Please let me know what you all think. Neatsfoot Oil first comes
          >to mind. Though my favorite is Resolene though.
          >
          >Thanks
          >Michael Walden

          When I'm trying to be "period" for sealants, I've been using a simple
          mixture of beeswax and neatsfoot oil. Melt the wax and add the oil
          until the cooled mixture is the consistency of soft serve ice cream
          (I actually prefer it a bit denser, but I live in a hot
          climate). It's based on a "dubbin" recipe out of R. Reed's _Ancient
          Skins, Parchment's and Leathers_ but that one was a fish oil
          concoction that I didn't think would age well in a region of regular 90+ temps.

          al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
          Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
          ronch2@... or afn03234@...