Re: [medieval-leather] Re:Old shoe found

  • Brian macTomais
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
      AT Lucas did a paper called Footwear in Ireland that had almost the exact
      shoe type that he dated to the 8th C.(? Been a while since I read that
      paper) and shoes like this were worn into the early 20th C in the Aran
      Islands (made of rawhide and worn wet-- mmm mmm sounds like fun...). I
      personally would think it a stretch to extend their usage to medieval
      personas outside the early Irish but that's just me (no facts just a gut
      feeling based on other finds, their amount and complexity).

      You can find out more on this particular shoe at:
      http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0010984

      Brian
      --
      Ex pertinacia pulchritudo