Old shoe found

  • Robert Huff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2010
    • Leslie Cox
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2010
        Thanks for the link - amazing find.

        On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Robert Huff <roberthuff@...> wrote:

        > http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/06/09/armenia.old.shoe/index.html?hpt=C2
        >
        > Diego Mundoz

      • Susan Fox
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
          Shhhh now everybody's going to want one!

          Seriously though, for Historical Re-creationists' usage, where and when
          were shoes like this worn? I hear it was pretty similar to ones worn in
          Ireland from Antiquity pretty much to the 19th Century.

          Cheers,
          Selene Colfox / Susan Fox
          selene@...
        • Brian macTomais
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
            AT Lucas did a paper called Footwear in Ireland that had almost the exact
            shoe type that he dated to the 8th C.(? Been a while since I read that
            paper) and shoes like this were worn into the early 20th C in the Aran
            Islands (made of rawhide and worn wet-- mmm mmm sounds like fun...). I
            personally would think it a stretch to extend their usage to medieval
            personas outside the early Irish but that's just me (no facts just a gut
            feeling based on other finds, their amount and complexity).

            You can find out more on this particular shoe at:
            http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0010984

            Brian
            --
            Ex pertinacia pulchritudo