Steel Wool - Vinegar Dye

  • Ben Arnold
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4 1:56 PM
      Just FYI:

      I've used a similar solution to age oak.  The mixture reacts with the tannin in oak and darkens it considerably.  It will work to a lesser degree in other woods.

      For this application, one puts any rusty iron in a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar.

      I do not recall how long it takes to become useful for wood aging purposes.  I've kept a glass jar of this mixture with the iron left in it for years, until I realized I seldom have a use for it and can easily make more.

      There are other old 'recipes' for aging woods, but I have no idea how they would work on leather.  I may experiment with them a bit and report on the results.

      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4 5:18 PM
        Just for reference...

        I made a bottle of vinegaroon in 2 weeks. White vinegar and fine steel wool in a plastic jug. Shaking seems to move the process along.

        The brew looks like strong coffee and just a quick dip produces a very dark brown tint.....Smells faintly of pickles....

        More as I work through the process.

        Daffyd the Taylor