Leather dying/aging problem: down, dirty, quick

  • Timothy Park
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3, 2010
      I need a method to quickly darken or age leather leggings.

      The deal is that they're raw, "pink" leather (not really pink, but
      caucasian skin pink), I have about three days, and I'd like them to look
      browner, and like they've been oiled and used for years for work.

      I've determined to have leggings of a kind for workshop garb for a
      couple of different things. There are probably more period appropriate
      terms. But so you have the idea "tie on chaps" is what one friend called
      them. Protect the legs from the dirt of the shop rising to mid or upper
      thigh.

      Simple. Two tubes, laces at the top to tie to belt or what have you.

      That's not the issue.

      What I have are two, light, probably some sort of bovine, we'll call it
      cow, of indeterminate origin. They're as light as deerskin and have been
      mistaken as such.

      But they're pale leather right now and Friday is the first event they're
      needed at.

      More for my own aesthetics I don't want them pale, pinky looking.

      Oil helps, but what I want is more brown or tan. (I have not oiled them,
      just tested scrap.)

      Any suggestions on a quick way to dye and/or age these?

      I liked the vinegaroon notion but don't have time to make the solution,
      and these are probably chrome tanned.

      I've thought about oiling them heavily, then tossing into a dryer or hot
      with an old shoe to see if the heat will cook them darker. Thought about
      ironing them. Thought about dying them the usual way (tedious but
      doable), thought about dumping dye in oil. Even pondered leaving them in
      the sun in a tub of water with a dozen tea bags.

      Ideas?
    • tasha_medvedeva
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3, 2010
        Motor oil. Saddlers use it all the time.

        Tasha

        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Park <park.ta@...> wrote:

        > I need a method to quickly darken or age leather leggings.

        {snip}
      • Timothy Park
        Message 3 of 25 , May 3, 2010
          used so you get the gunk in?

          Or just straight.

          On 5/3/2010 1:57 PM, tasha_medvedeva wrote:

          > Motor oil. Saddlers use it all the time.
          >
          > Tasha
          >
          > --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>, Timothy Park
          > <park.ta@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I need a method to quickly darken or age leather leggings.
          > >
          > {snip}

        • Diane Sawyer Dooley
          Message 4 of 25 , May 3, 2010
            New, as far as I recall.

            Tasha

          • Ron McKenna
            Message 5 of 25 , May 3, 2010
              I've had really good luck with tea. Several tea bags in water and give the pieces a tea bath. Never did it with garment weight leathers though.

              Haven't tried motor-oil. Have to try that!

              Nathanial

              Message 6 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                I've heard of using both tea and coffee to dye fabrics. I would imagine
                they might work just fine on leather. If it would give you the color you're
                looking for, then it should be easy to try on a small piece.

                On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Ron McKenna <mckron@...> wrote:

                > I've had really good luck with tea. Several tea bags in water and give the
                > pieces a tea bath. Never did it with garment weight leathers though.
                >
                > Haven't tried motor-oil. Have to try that!
                >
                > Nathanial

              • Diane Sawyer Dooley
                Message 7 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                  Are you guys talking about tea dyeing vegtan or chrome tan, though? (BTW, if anyone's interested, vinegaroon won't work on chrome tan. The chemistry isn't right for it.)

                  Tasha

                • Shawn Zoladz
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                    Motor Oil? Please advise on which "saddler" uses motor oil on their saddles.

                    Motor oil has a high sulfur content, sulfur degrades leather. Motor oil also attacks most cotton and poly thread.

                    So why would you use motor oil again? To degrade a $5000-$15,000 saddle.

                    -Shawn W. Zoladz

                    Major Productions, High Quality, Fine Leather Goods.

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                      Was the arch tone *really* necessary?

                      Tasha

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                        At 02:39 PM 5/3/2010, Timothy Park wrote:
                        >I need a method to quickly darken or age leather leggings.

                        Tea is one of the classic prop distressing tricks. You can use that
                        first, but I'm not sure how well it will take on chrome tan.

                        For what you are after, probably a medium brown liquid shoe polish
                        will do the trick. Don't use the bottle applicator, pop the top and
                        pour it into a disposable/recyclable pan and use a wad of clean rag
                        or sponge to apply the stuff less than evenly. Go a bit heavier in
                        the thigh area, and _tops_ of the bends and creases you have already
                        worn into the leggings (That's how my leather work aprons tend to
                        wear). Use a piece of coarse cloth (a chunk of old denim works) to
                        buff the wear zones more than the rest of the leggings. Then give the
                        whole thing a rubdown with a cloth moistened with just enough
                        neatsfoot oil to top dress it. That last will blend out the applied polish.

                        al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
                        Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
                        ronch2@... or afn03234@...
                      • Shawn Zoladz
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                          No tone was meant. My apologies if it was taken the wrong way. I was just offering a warning.

                          -Shawn W. Zoladz

                          Major Productions, High Quality, Hand Made Leather Goods.

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                            I've also seen Chuck Burroughs use a fine steel wool to buff the high points
                            when distressing leather after dyeing and he gets beautiful results.

                            On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Shawn Zoladz <the_major@...>wrote:

                            > No tone was meant. My apologies if it was taken the wrong way. I was just
                            > offering a warning.
                            >
                            > -Shawn W. Zoladz
                            >
                            > Major Productions, High Quality, Hand Made Leather Goods.
                            >
                            > --- On Mon, 5/3/10, Diane Sawyer Dooley <tasha_medvedeva@...<tasha_medvedeva%40yahoo.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > From: Diane Sawyer Dooley <tasha_medvedeva@...<tasha_medvedeva%40yahoo.com>
                            > >

                            > Subject: Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Leather dying/aging problem: down,
                            > dirty, quick
                            > To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com <medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Date: Monday, May 3, 2010, 6:58 PM
                            >

                            > Was the arch tone *really* necessary?
                            >
                            > Tasha

                          • Timothy Park
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                              I have to question that vinegaroon won't work on chrome tanned.

                              I'm pretty sure my leather in question is chrome tanned. Just as an
                              experiment I threw a sample scrap into a jar with a bit of vinegar, just
                              enough to soak it to see if I might get some kind of darkening reaction.

                              I'm not sure that it did anything *except* where there are holes where I
                              think it was nailed and stretched at some point, there is a radius of
                              black now around each of the holes. Vinegar reacting with the trance
                              iron/steel at the holes?

                              Not saying anyone is wrong, just raising the question and pointing out
                              what happened.

                              On 5/3/2010 5:02 PM, Diane Sawyer Dooley wrote:

                              > Are you guys talking about tea dyeing vegtan or chrome tan, though?
                              > (BTW, if anyone's interested, vinegaroon won't work on chrome tan. The
                              > chemistry isn't right for it.)
                              >
                              > Tasha
                              >

                              > >From: Michael Parker <ArchAngel13@...

                            • Timothy Park
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                That sounds like a good bet. I'll be out at the farm store later. I'm
                                either going to try this or adding a little dye to neat's foot oil
                                before applying (which might be the same thing in essence).

                                Thank you all for the input.

                                The motor oil ... it will get that naturally. As I thought about it I'd
                                steer clear of that. There are carcinogenic additives to most petroleum
                                lubricants. 3-in-1 the classic treatment to soften a baseball glove has
                                benzene as a major component. Marevel Mystery Oil, my favorite additive
                                and penetrant is mostly benzene. Just as two examples.

                                On 5/3/2010 8:01 PM, Ron Charlotte wrote:

                                > At 02:39 PM 5/3/2010, Timothy Park wrote:
                                > >I need a method to quickly darken or age leather leggings.
                                >
                                > Tea is one of the classic prop distressing tricks. You can use that
                                > first, but I'm not sure how well it will take on chrome tan.
                                >
                                > For what you are after, probably a medium brown liquid shoe polish
                                > will do the trick. Don't use the bottle applicator, pop the top and
                                > pour it into a disposable/recyclable pan and use a wad of clean rag
                                > or sponge to apply the stuff less than evenly. Go a bit heavier in
                                > the thigh area, and _tops_ of the bends and creases you have already
                                > worn into the leggings (That's how my leather work aprons tend to
                                > wear). Use a piece of coarse cloth (a chunk of old denim works) to
                                > buff the wear zones more than the rest of the leggings. Then give the
                                > whole thing a rubdown with a cloth moistened with just enough
                                > neatsfoot oil to top dress it. That last will blend out the applied
                                > polish.
                                >
                                > al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
                                > Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
                                > ronch2@... <mailto:ronch2%40bellsouth.net> or
                                > afn03234@... <mailto:afn03234%40afn.org>

                              • AlbionWood
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                  The MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil does not list Benzene, and states "None
                                  of the ingredients in this product is listed as a carcinogen by NTP,
                                  IARC, or OSHA." (Benzene is a known human carcinogen.) Similarly for
                                  3-in-1, which is 97% hydrotreated heavy naphthenic oil, 3% "proprietary
                                  additive" and is listed as having no carcinogenic constituents.

                                  What's the source of your assertion that benzene is present in these
                                  products?

                                  Cheers,
                                  Tim
                                  (HazMat consultant in a previous incarnation)

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                    The vinegaroon works because the iron oxide in the acidic vinegar reacts with the tannins in the vegetable tanned leather. Chrome-tanned leather does not contain those tannins. If the leather you have did not change color except around those holes, then yes, it may very well be traces of iron or steel around those holes.

                                    Tasja

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                      I stand corrected then.

                                      My source (if I get a chance I will look for it, but it can't be high on
                                      the list right now) was a "MSDS for the home" kind of web site. In the
                                      section for "hobbists" was a list that said benzene was in those.

                                      I'm, frankly, glad it's not because with the machine work I end up doing
                                      there is no helping getting that stuff on my hands at times and I've
                                      been fretful since reading that.

                                      Still, not sure I'd want motor oil on something that I'd be wearing for
                                      hours.

                                      On 5/4/2010 3:36 PM, AlbionWood wrote:

                                      > The MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil does not list Benzene, and states "None
                                      > of the ingredients in this product is listed as a carcinogen by NTP,
                                      > IARC, or OSHA." (Benzene is a known human carcinogen.) Similarly for
                                      > 3-in-1, which is 97% hydrotreated heavy naphthenic oil, 3% "proprietary
                                      > additive" and is listed as having no carcinogenic constituents.
                                      >
                                      > What's the source of your assertion that benzene is present in these
                                      > products?
                                      >
                                      > Cheers,
                                      > Tim
                                      > (HazMat consultant in a previous incarnation)
                                      >
                                      > Timothy Park wrote:
                                      > There are carcinogenic additives to most petroleum
                                      > > lubricants. 3-in-1 the classic treatment to soften a baseball glove has
                                      > > benzene as a major component. Marevel Mystery Oil, my favorite additive
                                      > > and penetrant is mostly benzene. Just as two examples.

                                    • Favour
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                        Greetings All,

                                        I used to work for a custom sword maker at several renfaires. These
                                        were high end blades (up to $10k), and the sheaths/scabbards could run
                                        up to $500. Our "secret" sword oil was actually cheap 10-30 weight, and
                                        we used a lot because we were right off the Gulf Coast in very high
                                        humidity conditions. Our recommendation to our patrons was to fill the
                                        new sheath/scabbard full of motor oil, let it soak overnight and then
                                        let it drain upside down over a coffee can. The sheaths/scabbards
                                        become self-oilers. It's anecdotal, but it worked great. We never had
                                        any complaints about degradation of the leather or thread. I've
                                        personally had fifteen year old sheaths that had that treatment and
                                        everything was fine. I currently have antiques, including a Bavarian
                                        hand-un-halb dating to about 1445, that I carry at events in motor oiled
                                        sheaths. I've never had a problem, and it stops rust cold. Oh, and it
                                        leaves undyed tooling leather with a rich tan/brown color. My only
                                        suggestion is to use a lighter weight, say 5-20. And now that I think
                                        of it, I wonder how synthetic motor oil would work? Have to get a quart
                                        and try it on some scrap.

                                        Best regards,

                                        Friedrich
                                        Favour Leather Works

                                      • Michael Parker
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                          Great info, Friedrich, thanks! But how does this leave the outside surface
                                          of the sheath? Is it always going to be oiling my hands and clothes as it
                                          does the blade?

                                          ~Valinn

                                          On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Favour <favour@...> wrote:

                                          > Greetings All,
                                          >
                                          > I used to work for a custom sword maker at several renfaires. These
                                          > were high end blades (up to $10k), and the sheaths/scabbards could run
                                          > up to $500. Our "secret" sword oil was actually cheap 10-30 weight, and
                                          > we used a lot because we were right off the Gulf Coast in very high
                                          > humidity conditions. Our recommendation to our patrons was to fill the
                                          > new sheath/scabbard full of motor oil, let it soak overnight and then
                                          > let it drain upside down over a coffee can. The sheaths/scabbards
                                          > become self-oilers. It's anecdotal, but it worked great. We never had
                                          > any complaints about degradation of the leather or thread. I've
                                          > personally had fifteen year old sheaths that had that treatment and
                                          > everything was fine. I currently have antiques, including a Bavarian
                                          > hand-un-halb dating to about 1445, that I carry at events in motor oiled
                                          > sheaths. I've never had a problem, and it stops rust cold. Oh, and it
                                          > leaves undyed tooling leather with a rich tan/brown color. My only
                                          > suggestion is to use a lighter weight, say 5-20. And now that I think
                                          > of it, I wonder how synthetic motor oil would work? Have to get a quart
                                          > and try it on some scrap.
                                          >
                                          > Best regards,
                                          >
                                          > Friedrich
                                          > Favour Leather Works

                                        • Favour
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 5, 2010
                                            Greetings Valinn,

                                            The leather used in the sheaths and scabbards, front and back, is a
                                            nominal 8 oz veg tan, dyed on the outward facing side only. Several
                                            types of final finishes/waxes were used. My preference for dye was/is
                                            Fiebing's Oil Dye and final finish is acrylic. Some were embossed or
                                            tooled, most were black. These swords, including the antiques, are
                                            sharp, so there is a leather spacer (thickness depending on blade
                                            thickness) sandwiched between the two sides to protect the thread. All
                                            sewing was done on a tack machine (Adler, I think) for very tight
                                            seams. Punching holes and hand sewing should also give a tight seam.
                                            Our patrons all wore expensive costume and I don't recall any complaints
                                            of oil stains from the scabbards and sheaths. Personally, I've had no
                                            problems. It's been at least five years since I poured oil into the new
                                            scabbard for the Bavarian, and it's dry on the outside of the seams with
                                            no degradation of the outside finish. My wife and I have had at least
                                            thirty scabbards (swords) and sheaths (daggers) that were oiled heavily
                                            on the inside with no bleed to the outside.

                                            It's anecdotal like the rest of it, but I would suggest two things.
                                            Make sure you drain all the oil out, i.e. let it drip dry. And make
                                            sure your seams are good and tight. Whether you use a blade spacer or
                                            not, contact cement would probably be a good idea. I know our leather
                                            craftsman used it. Also, none of this might hold true for synthetic
                                            oil. It's known for finding weak spots in gaskets and oozing through.

                                            Another thing to consider is oil's effect on wooden grips. We used
                                            exotic hardwoods that were hand finished. The oil didn't seem to bother
                                            them or the marine epoxy we sometimes used. It did darken the wood as
                                            any oil would do. This may be dependent on the nature of the wood's
                                            final finish.

                                            Best regards,

                                            Friedrich

                                          • Michael Parker