Re: [medieval-leather] Sheath construction...

  • Kathy Aslinger
    Message 1 of 56 , Apr 22, 2010
      You might want to take look at Ester A. Cameron's Sheaths and Scabbards in England AD 400-1100, Archaeopress, Oxford, England, ISBN 1841710652. It is probably the best source for the time period you are looking for. The Museum of London book is great, but it largely covers later period sheaths.

      Kathy

      ---- Michael Parker <ArchAngel13@...> wrote:
      > Greetings all,
      >
      > I have a question or three for those with much more specialized
      > knowledge than I. I make knives primarily replicating Scandinavian
      > and Anglo Saxon blades from roughly 500AD - 1200AD and would like to
      > make my scabbards more historically accurate.
      >
      > Question one: Does anyone have any resources they can pass on
      > regarding the proper design and construction methods for this region
      > and time period?
      >
      > Question two: How would the leather be treated or finished? Were they
      > rubbed with bee's wax to seal them? Anything?
      >
      > Thank you very much for your time,
      > Michael
      > aka Valinn
    • Henry Plouse
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 26, 2010
        Wow, let me add my thanks to Lucy Rose's - I happen to have several projects
        which need some painting on them and I was a tad worried about relying on my
        usual acrylic paints.  This is just what I need.

        I might note that, based on your recommendation, I "Googled" Angelus Acrylic
        Leather Paint and found a couple sites which appear to offer better selections
        and deals than the others (incl. a 12 color "starter kit" for around $29.00 or
        $29.95).   "Manhatten Wardrobe Supply", www.wardrobesupplies.com, is the
        cheapest, while "Shoe Shine Express", www.shoeshineexpress.com, is a hair
        pricier, but has a lot better selection (incl. applicator pens for fine line
        work).

        Any purveyors you like or recommend?

        YOS,
        ALRIC