Re: [medieval-leather] hello to all

  • Fred Vance Hubbell, III.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2009
      Hello Cagri, Two useful books would be Leathercraft Tools(how to use them, how to sharpin them) by Al Stohlman, the other is The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. Both are excellant books. I hope this helps. Take Care, Yours Einarr Grabraor.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 2009
        Hello Cagri:

        Others are much more expert on the tools than I.

        As a maker of tools, however, I will add one bit of wisdom received from
        another wiser than I: yes, good tools are important, work hard to get
        them and care for them, but never let the lack of a tool interfere with
        actually working your craft.

        You might not do it in camp, but "go for it" with what tools you might
        have as soon and as often as you can.

        Timothy the Blacksmith

        Fred Vance Hubbell, III. wrote:

        > Hello Cagri, Two useful books would be Leathercraft Tools(how to use
        > them, how to sharpin them) by Al Stohlman, the other is The Art of
        > Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. Both are excellant books. I hope
        > this helps. Take Care, Yours Einarr Grabraor.
        >
        > --- On Mon, 7/20/09, cagrisaridogan <cagrisaridogan@...
        > <mailto:cagrisaridogan%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
        >
        > From: cagrisaridogan <cagrisaridogan@...
        > <mailto:cagrisaridogan%40yahoo.com>>
        > Subject: [medieval-leather] hello to all
        > To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Monday, July 20, 2009, 5:41 AM
        >

        > hello fellow leather craft enthousiast, gurus and total beginners like
        > me.my name is cagri and i come from the netherlands. i am a member of
        > a medieval (namely 14th century) re-enactment group and i want to
        > start leatherworking in the camp.so far i searched internet,try to
        > contact leather workers in events but i couldn't able to get some
        > satisfying info.so my question is simple: can you give me some tips on
        > how to start or what tools to buy or make.any kind of
        > tips/recommendation s would be appreciated.
        >
        > cagri

      • Lady Czina Angielczyka
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2009
          Greetings!

          I can't agree more with Timothy. I have seen experts in the (modern) leatherworking field using expert tools - but I've seen those same experts in awe of an old Mexican-American saddlemaker who made his tools with a dremel and carriage bolts, stamped on an old tombstone with a misspelled name, and had to 'build in' stamping errors, because his basketweave was so good it looked like it was done by machine.

          If you're a good leatherworker, the quality of the tools won't hold you back - and if you're a mediocre leatherworker, expensive, high-end tools won't teach you the skills to get better.

          Czina