hello to all

  • cagrisaridogan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
      hello fellow leather craft enthousiast,gurus and total beginners like me.my name is cagri and i come from the netherlands.i am a member of a medieval (namely 14th century) re-enactment group and i want to start leatherworking in the camp.so far i searched internet,try to contact leather workers in events but i couldn't able to get some satisfying info.so my question is simple: can you give me some tips on how to start or what tools to buy or make.any kind of tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

      cagri
    • jon@armlann.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
        Welcome Cagri. One quick question: do you want to do this work in camp and in view? I'm asking so I can understand if you need suggestions for replicas of historical tools or do you need sources for modern tools. Thanks.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
          thanks for the quick reply jon.i can say my plan is a bit mixed.i need to work with historicly accurate tools but my main work will be at home with the help of modern material.so for start i'd like to have modern tools then i can move on to making my own historic tools to work in the camp,in view, once i have the idea of what tool is for what purpose and etc. thanks

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, jon@... wrote:

          > Welcome Cagri. One quick question: do you want to do this work in camp and in view? I'm asking so I can understand if you need suggestions for replicas of historical tools or do you need sources for modern tools. Thanks.
        • William Hicks
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
            Welcome Cagri!

            What kind of items will you be making??  Belts, pouches, armguards?  This will help in recomendations on what tools and tips you may need.

            William
            Deer Park, TX
            www.calsleather.com
            My FaceBook profile
            Leatherworker.net

            ________________________________
            hello fellow leather craft enthousiast, gurus and total beginners like me.my name is cagri and i come from the netherlands. i am a member of a medieval (namely 14th century) re-enactment group and i want to start leatherworking in the camp.so far i searched internet,try to contact leather workers in events but i couldn't able to get some satisfying info.so my question is simple: can you give me some tips on how to start or what tools to buy or make.any kind of tips/recommendation s would be appreciated.

            cagri

          • Fred Vance Hubbell, III.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2009
              Hello Cagri, Two useful books would be Leathercraft Tools(how to use them, how to sharpin them) by Al Stohlman, the other is The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. Both are excellant books. I hope this helps. Take Care, Yours Einarr Grabraor.

              hello fellow leather craft enthousiast, gurus and total beginners like me.my name is cagri and i come from the netherlands. i am a member of a medieval (namely 14th century) re-enactment group and i want to start leatherworking in the camp.so far i searched internet,try to contact leather workers in events but i couldn't able to get some satisfying info.so my question is simple: can you give me some tips on how to start or what tools to buy or make.any kind of tips/recommendation s would be appreciated.

              cagri

            • Timothy Park
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12 12:12 PM
                Hello Cagri:

                Others are much more expert on the tools than I.

                As a maker of tools, however, I will add one bit of wisdom received from
                another wiser than I: yes, good tools are important, work hard to get
                them and care for them, but never let the lack of a tool interfere with
                actually working your craft.

                You might not do it in camp, but "go for it" with what tools you might
                have as soon and as often as you can.

                Timothy the Blacksmith

                Fred Vance Hubbell, III. wrote:

                > Hello Cagri, Two useful books would be Leathercraft Tools(how to use
                > them, how to sharpin them) by Al Stohlman, the other is The Art of
                > Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. Both are excellant books. I hope
                > this helps. Take Care, Yours Einarr Grabraor.
                >
                > --- On Mon, 7/20/09, cagrisaridogan <cagrisaridogan@...
                > <mailto:cagrisaridogan%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                >
                > From: cagrisaridogan <cagrisaridogan@...
                > <mailto:cagrisaridogan%40yahoo.com>>
                > Subject: [medieval-leather] hello to all
                > To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Monday, July 20, 2009, 5:41 AM
                >

                > hello fellow leather craft enthousiast, gurus and total beginners like
                > me.my name is cagri and i come from the netherlands. i am a member of
                > a medieval (namely 14th century) re-enactment group and i want to
                > start leatherworking in the camp.so far i searched internet,try to
                > contact leather workers in events but i couldn't able to get some
                > satisfying info.so my question is simple: can you give me some tips on
                > how to start or what tools to buy or make.any kind of
                > tips/recommendation s would be appreciated.
                >
                > cagri

              • Lady Czina Angielczyka
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13 6:34 AM
                  Greetings!

                  I can't agree more with Timothy. I have seen experts in the (modern) leatherworking field using expert tools - but I've seen those same experts in awe of an old Mexican-American saddlemaker who made his tools with a dremel and carriage bolts, stamped on an old tombstone with a misspelled name, and had to 'build in' stamping errors, because his basketweave was so good it looked like it was done by machine.

                  If you're a good leatherworker, the quality of the tools won't hold you back - and if you're a mediocre leatherworker, expensive, high-end tools won't teach you the skills to get better.

                  Czina