Re: leather drinking tankard

  • G. G. Stapleton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009
      Greetings,

      For the leather tankards, search the archives for "Jack" or "Black
      Jack", as that is the period term that we used when we discussed this
      item. extensively, in the past.

      For the Bombard, I used 8-10 oz leather. A period sealer was bitumen
      pitch. Not easy to come by, but it is available. today. Check out
      "naval stores" (not a store but a term for items used in naval maintence
      (note: naval as in navy, not your belly button)). Took me a while to
      track that one down. There is an extensive article in the archives on
      making and "Jacking" the bombard if you search for it, if I remember
      correctly. A more modern sealent, that works wonderfully, is a food
      grade RTV rubber.

      Hope this helps,

      Gregory G. Stapleton

      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "devildog_one"
      <devildog_one@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm mostly a lurker, but want to try my hand at the drinking tankard
      > and have tried to do the search here for the words and am not having
      > very much luck. Can you point me in the direction please.
      >
      > I looked at the Bombard Puzzle but there are no instructions, for
      > example what oz. leather do I use and what is best for the sealant
      > inside. I remember someone mention wax before but I wasn't sure if
      > someone else had a better suggestion, I don't want to taste wax or
      > have it crack and end up part of the beverage.
      >
      > Thanks in advance, BTW I'm also getting ready to start a Bottle in a
      > few weeks.
      >
      > have a great day,
      >
      > Kevin

    • Ben Arnold
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2009
        Hi, Kevin,

        I just posted one message, but Yahoo took it upon itself to lose it, so this may be a bit shorter. You can refer to an earlier message of mine, as well.

        Your post prompted me to finally get around to posting a few photos of my simple projects.

        I've done a great deal of research for templates and directions for making various projects and always keep this material in case I want to make more or share it in the future.

        If you wish to have a little assistnace from another beginner, let me know and I'll see if I can't get some directions, templates and/or links to you to get you on your way.

        Ben Arnold
        Ft. Lauderdale, FL

        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "devildog_one" <devildog_one@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I'm mostly a lurker, but want to try my hand at the drinking tankard
        > and have tried to do the search here for the words and am not having
        > very much luck. Can you point me in the direction please.

        I'm also getting ready to start a Bottle in a
        > few weeks.

      • devildog_one
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
          Thanks for the help!