"celtic" rune leather stamp sets available for purchase

  • Diane Sawyer Dooley
    Message 1 of 10 , May 28, 2009
      Okay, "celtic" runes is not accurate. The stamps are actually the Elder Futhark, but they're labeled "Celtic Runes" for whatever reason. Tandy stopped carrying these stamp sets several years ago, in favor of the Hebrew alphabet, but thanks to an enterprising store manager, there are a limited number available at the Tandy store in Chelmsford, MA. They're only available at this one store, so don't go looking for them on the Tandy website -- they're not there. Let me reiterate that these are leather stamps, and give a lovely sharp impression in properly cased veg tan leather.

      They're $32 plus shipping and applicable tax, unless you can pick them up in-store, which will save you shipping. Ken (the store manager) says that he has 11 sets left. If you're interested, contact Ken Evans or Marji Clinton at the Chelmsford, MA Tandy Leather store: 978-275-0596 or 866-771-0003, or you can email them at boston@....

      Thanks for your time!

      Tasha
    • Fred Kullas
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        For UK folk, these are available from Leprevo Leather in Newcastle, at £19.35 plus postage, plus VAT. They list them as 'Runic Alaphabet'. I got a set and they are about ¾" high.They include a full set and the choice of a few letters (eg different ones for E)depending on which alaphabet you want to use.

        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Diane Sawyer Dooley <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

        > Okay, "celtic" runes is not accurate. The stamps are actually the Elder Futhark, but they're labeled "Celtic Runes" for whatever reason. Tandy stopped carrying these stamp sets several years ago, in favor of the Hebrew alphabet, but thanks to an enterprising store manager, there are a limited number available at the Tandy store in Chelmsford, MA. They're only available at this one store, so don't go looking for them on the Tandy website -- they're not there. Let me reiterate that these are leather stamps, and give a lovely sharp impression in properly cased veg tan leather.
        >
        > They're $32 plus shipping and applicable tax, unless you can pick them up in-store, which will save you shipping. Ken (the store manager) says that he has 11 sets left. If you're interested, contact Ken Evans or Marji Clinton at the Chelmsford, MA Tandy Leather store: 978-275-0596 or 866-771-0003, or you can email them at boston@...
        >
        > Thanks for your time!
        >
        > Tasha

      • Jay Hitchcock
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
          OK, my set came in,
          I am new to this and would like to get a symbol/letter guide
          so that when I use them I can spell correctly.

          Thanks

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Diane Sawyer Dooley <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

          > Okay, "celtic" runes is not accurate. The stamps are actually the Elder Futhark, but they're labeled "Celtic Runes" for whatever reason. Tandy stopped carrying these stamp sets several years ago, in favor of the Hebrew alphabet, but thanks to an enterprising store manager, there are a limited number available at the Tandy store in Chelmsford, MA. They're only available at this one store, so don't go looking for them on the Tandy website -- they're not there. Let me reiterate that these are leather stamps, and give a lovely sharp impression in properly cased veg tan leather.
          >
          > They're $32 plus shipping and applicable tax, unless you can pick them up in-store, which will save you shipping. Ken (the store manager) says that he has 11 sets left. If you're interested, contact Ken Evans or Marji Clinton at the Chelmsford, MA Tandy Leather store: 978-275-0596 or 866-771-0003, or you can email them at boston@...
          >
          > Thanks for your time!
          >
          > Tasha

        • Diane Sawyer Dooley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Hitchcock" <bsaride@...> wrote:

            > OK, my set came in,
            > I am new to this and would like to get a symbol/letter guide
            > so that when I use them I can spell correctly.
            >
            > Thanks

            Here, I Googled "Elder Futhark" for you:

            http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

            I printed out that chart and taped it to the inside lid of the box, and I'm always sure to put the stamps back in order, where they belong.

            Tasha
          • Torran
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
              http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/

              Sunny has a very nice page as well. It has lots of info from varying
              sources.

              >> I am new to this and would like to get a symbol/letter guide
              >> so that when I use them I can spell correctly.
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >

              > Here, I Googled "Elder Futhark" for you:
              >
              > http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm
              >
              > I printed out that chart and taped it to the inside lid of the box, and
              > I'm always sure to put the stamps back in order, where they belong.
              >
              > Tasha

            • Diane Sawyer Dooley
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
                --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Torran" <torran@...> wrote:

                > http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/
                >

                > Sunny has a very nice page as well. It has lots of info from varying
                > sources.

                But when all you want is the alphabet equivalents, that's a little off-topic.

                Tasha
              • Fred Kullas
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
                  By the way gang, it was usual for the writing to go from right to left, but not always. With a single mark in between words and no grammar as we now use it. Anybody know ancient Norse?

                  --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Hitchcock" <bsaride@...> wrote:

                  > OK, my set came in,
                  > I am new to this and would like to get a symbol/letter guide
                  > so that when I use them I can spell correctly.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >

                  > --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Diane Sawyer Dooley <tasha_medvedeva@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Okay, "celtic" runes is not accurate. The stamps are actually the Elder Futhark, but they're labeled "Celtic Runes" for whatever reason. Tandy stopped carrying these stamp sets several years ago, in favor of the Hebrew alphabet, but thanks to an enterprising store manager, there are a limited number available at the Tandy store in Chelmsford, MA. They're only available at this one store, so don't go looking for them on the Tandy website -- they're not there. Let me reiterate that these are leather stamps, and give a lovely sharp impression in properly cased veg tan leather.
                  > >
                  > > They're $32 plus shipping and applicable tax, unless you can pick them up in-store, which will save you shipping. Ken (the store manager) says that he has 11 sets left. If you're interested, contact Ken Evans or Marji Clinton at the Chelmsford, MA Tandy Leather store: 978-275-0596 or 866-771-0003, or you can email them at boston@
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your time!
                  > >
                  > > Tasha

                • William Hicks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
                    Kinda off topic but related and funny:

                    I made a leather dice box for a customer and used the rune set to write 'One DM to rule them all'. IT is a play on Lord of the Rings and the God complex most dungeon master have.....  I have a pic of this box in my porfoilo that I have on my table at shows and fairs to show off some of my talents.....  Jokely I tell people that get a free item if they can read the runes.....

                    I had a young lady in Austin who translated it a matter of seconds.....  Now I just say they get 'extra points'...no more free stuff!!!

                    I learned my lesson!!!!  LOL

                    There is a pic of the box in the 'custom' section of my website.  Link is below.

                    William
                    www.calsleather.com
                    My FaceBook profile

                    ________________________________
                    By the way gang, it was usual for the writing to go from right to left, but not always. With a single mark in between words and no grammar as we now use it. Anybody know ancient Norse?

                    --- In medieval-leather@ yahoogroups. com, "Jay Hitchcock" <bsaride@... > wrote:

                    > OK, my set came in,
                    > I am new to this and would like to get a symbol/letter guide
                    > so that when I use them I can spell correctly.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >

                    > --- In medieval-leather@ yahoogroups. com, Diane Sawyer Dooley <tasha_medvedeva@ > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Okay, "celtic" runes is not accurate. The stamps are actually the Elder Futhark, but they're labeled "Celtic Runes" for whatever reason. Tandy stopped carrying these stamp sets several years ago, in favor of the Hebrew alphabet, but thanks to an enterprising store manager, there are a limited number available at the Tandy store in Chelmsford, MA. They're only available at this one store, so don't go looking for them on the Tandy website -- they're not there. Let me reiterate that these are leather stamps, and give a lovely sharp impression in properly cased veg tan leather.
                    > >
                    > > They're $32 plus shipping and applicable tax, unless you can pick them up in-store, which will save you shipping. Ken (the store manager) says that he has 11 sets left. If you're interested, contact Ken Evans or Marji Clinton at the Chelmsford, MA Tandy Leather store: 978-275-0596 or 866-771-0003, or you can email them at boston@
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your time!
                    > >
                    > > Tasha

                  • Diane Sawyer Dooley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
                      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, William Hicks <williamhicks@...> wrote:

                      > Kinda off topic but related and funny:
                      >
                      > I made a leather dice box for a customer and used the rune set to write 'One DM to rule them all'. IT is a play on Lord of the Rings and the God complex most dungeon master have.....
                      {snip}

                      > William
                      > www.calsleather.com
                      > My FaceBook profile

                      Heh. I made some leather sleeves for drinking flasks, and used my rune set to write BOOZE on one of them. It was well-received.

                      I should make some more of those.

                      Tasha
                    • Leslie Cox
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
                        LOL - very good, thanks for the story! (love the play on words, too - very
                        clever!)

                        -- Lucy Rose Falconer