Re: [medieval-leather] leather drinking tankard

  • Dominic Cimesa
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
      Ive used InviroTex for a long time on various mugs. It doesnt crack,
      alter taste, and can hold hot liquids. Ive wanted to try brewer's pitch
      but could never find any place that sells it.
      Dominic

      Timothy Park wrote:

      > I'll second the beeswax notion.
      >
      > The only thing I don't care for about that is that beeswax tends to
      > crack a bit.
      >
      > I have also "cheated" and used acrylic "bar varnish". That cracks too,
      > eventually, but holds for a long time. And it will make just about any
      > piece of leather, no matter how badly turned into a mug hold liquid,
      > even hot.
      >
      > I've been pondering what would happen if I merged beeswax and a
      > vegatable oil of some kind the same way I melt linseed oil and beeswax
      > together for a metal finish. My thinking is that it wouldn't be a hard
      > finish, but some flexibility would be a good thing in a jack. Strictly
      > for cold beverages.
      >
      > Just thoughts.
      >
      > Timothy
      >
      > Colin wrote:
      > >
      > > If you use beeswax, it does taint the contents, giving it a slight
      > > honey taste!
      > >
      > > Or, if you can find brerwer's pitch, that designed for the job.
      > >
      > > Best of luck.
      > >
      > > Colin

    • beanmaestro
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
        Lately I've been using a 50/50 mix of Jas Townshend pine pitch and beeswax. I tried the pitch straight, but it didn't soak in very well, just formed a yellow crust on leather. I've also made a few jacks with 50/50 beeswax-paraffin, which works fine, but is a bit less durable.

        Jon

        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <bigned@...> wrote:

        > If you use beeswax, it does taint the contents, giving it a slight honey taste!
        >
        > Or, if you can find brerwer's pitch, that designed for the job.
        >
        > Best of luck.
        >
        > Colin

      • G. G. Stapleton
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009
          Greetings,

          For the leather tankards, search the archives for "Jack" or "Black
          Jack", as that is the period term that we used when we discussed this
          item. extensively, in the past.

          For the Bombard, I used 8-10 oz leather. A period sealer was bitumen
          pitch. Not easy to come by, but it is available. today. Check out
          "naval stores" (not a store but a term for items used in naval maintence
          (note: naval as in navy, not your belly button)). Took me a while to
          track that one down. There is an extensive article in the archives on
          making and "Jacking" the bombard if you search for it, if I remember
          correctly. A more modern sealent, that works wonderfully, is a food
          grade RTV rubber.

          Hope this helps,

          Gregory G. Stapleton

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "devildog_one"
          <devildog_one@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I'm mostly a lurker, but want to try my hand at the drinking tankard
          > and have tried to do the search here for the words and am not having
          > very much luck. Can you point me in the direction please.
          >
          > I looked at the Bombard Puzzle but there are no instructions, for
          > example what oz. leather do I use and what is best for the sealant
          > inside. I remember someone mention wax before but I wasn't sure if
          > someone else had a better suggestion, I don't want to taste wax or
          > have it crack and end up part of the beverage.
          >
          > Thanks in advance, BTW I'm also getting ready to start a Bottle in a
          > few weeks.
          >
          > have a great day,
          >
          > Kevin

        • Ben Arnold
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2009
            Hi, Kevin,

            I just posted one message, but Yahoo took it upon itself to lose it, so this may be a bit shorter. You can refer to an earlier message of mine, as well.

            Your post prompted me to finally get around to posting a few photos of my simple projects.

            I've done a great deal of research for templates and directions for making various projects and always keep this material in case I want to make more or share it in the future.

            If you wish to have a little assistnace from another beginner, let me know and I'll see if I can't get some directions, templates and/or links to you to get you on your way.

            Ben Arnold
            Ft. Lauderdale, FL

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "devildog_one" <devildog_one@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I'm mostly a lurker, but want to try my hand at the drinking tankard
            > and have tried to do the search here for the words and am not having
            > very much luck. Can you point me in the direction please.

            I'm also getting ready to start a Bottle in a
            > few weeks.

          • devildog_one
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
              Thanks for the help!