Re: [medieval-leather] Drinking Jacks class handout

  • Lord Magnus
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2009
      What do you use to hold the sand for the bulbous jacks? Also does anyone
      know where to get brewer's pitch? Ive been using Envirotex for the past
      few years but would like to try the pitch.
      Thanks

      " Honor those who fall under the sword. But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.."

      beanmaestro wrote:

      > Since a few people have asked for basic jack-making advice, I've
      > uploaded my class handout on the subject. It's lacking a few figures,
      > including a drawing of a saddle stitch, and the wood jig used to
      > stretch the leather for the bottom plug.
      >
      > I typically use sand-stuffing (instead of a puzzle mold) to make
      > bulbous jacks, and clamp leather around wine bottles to make
      > cylindrical ones. Both types can be seen here:
      > http://picasaweb.google.com/dr.mrow/LeatherworkingIHavenTGivenAway#
      > <http://picasaweb.google.com/dr.mrow/LeatherworkingIHavenTGivenAway#>

    • Karl Christensen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2009
        Your stuff looks awesome!
               konr

      • jon@armlann.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2009
          James Townsend sells brewers pitch. Let me know if you need the link.

          Jon

          beanmaestro wrote:

          > Since a few people have asked for basic jack-making advice, I've
          > uploaded my class handout on the subject. It's lacking a few figures,
          > including a drawing of a saddle stitch, and the wood jig used to
          > stretch the leather for the bottom plug.
          >
          > I typically use sand-stuffing (instead of a puzzle mold) to make
          > bulbous jacks, and clamp leather around wine bottles to make
          > cylindrical ones. Both types can be seen here:
          > http://picasaweb.google.com/dr.mrow/LeatherworkingIHavenTGivenAway#
          > <http://picasaweb.google.com/dr.mrow/LeatherworkingIHavenTGivenAway#>

        • beanmaestro
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Lord Magnus <lrdmagnus@...> wrote:

            > What do you use to hold the sand for the bulbous jacks? Also does anyone
            > know where to get brewer's pitch? Ive been using Envirotex for the past
            > few years but would like to try the pitch.

            You sew the bottom and sides of the jack together before you stuff it with sand. Then soak the jack well, and put sand directly into the jack.

            Forming is done by a combination of pressing the leather outward with a blunt object, then backfilling with sand. Then you add sand to fill the jack and press/hammer on the sand to get a complete fill. It's very intuitive, and takes maybe ten minutes.

            Then you let the leather dry completely (maybe three days), pour out the sand, and cure at 180F for two hours. Then shake & scrape it some more to get rid of the remaining sand.

            Then you fill with beeswax (and up to 50% pitch), let rest about 60", pour back into your wax can. Swish the remnant gently so it fills the bottom seams. Then repeat that.

            Jon
          • antonio_di_giordani
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 19, 2009
              I like all your pics. I am new to leathercrafting, and would like to start off by making a scroll case. Like the one you did. Could you get me started in the right direction?
              Thanks,
              tommy