Tankards and Leather Bottles

  • Ben Arnold
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2009
      I'm a brand new member to this particular leather group, so I've not  Posted any of my simple projects, but photos of my leather jacks, tankards and bottles were Posted to each of those groups.

      I have the plans and directions I used for each and would be happy to share them with you.  Since I am a hobbyist, as opposed to a serious Ren-Fest aficionado, I often scale my projects down to perhaps three-quarter size or so.  This most especially applies to my woodworking models, such as trebuchets, catapults, ballistae and such; I have no intention of making full sizes of any of those and I scale those down considerably.

      I can probably direct you to various sites containing plans for "Making Your Own..."  I will sometimes modify the original designs to suit my own modeling needs.

      I can probably send you the paperwork for the tankards and bottles via email faster than getting around to Posting the photos and plans at this site, which I probably will not do for at least several days.

      Let me know what you want to do and I'll e-mail you some photos initially and, if you wish to proceed, I'll dig out the paperwork for them and scan them for you.  I keep most everything so that I can duplicate projects at a later time if needed.

      As for sealing drinking vessels, the usual sealant is Brewer's pitch.  I've not sealed any of my drinking vessels for two reasons:  1.  Haven't searched out the source of the Brewer's pitch and; 2. I don't expect to be drinking out of these vessels more than perhaps once.

      If not otherwise noted, here, my e-mail address is benarnoldjr@...

      I'd be more than happy to give you the benefit of my own beginner's experience with these projects, including the mistakes.

      Ben Arnold
      Ft. Lauderdale

      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin