Tandy now selling Large and Small leather armor plates for Lamellar

  • Gomez Addams
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8 9:25 PM
      http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=armor&x=11&y=3

      For those interested in making leather lamellar armor, I found these in my friendly local Tandy Leather shop... Boil these suckers and make some cool armor...
    • Diane Sawyer Dooley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8 9:32 PM
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Gomez Addams" <gomezy3k@...> wrote:

        > http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=armor&x=11&y=3
        >
        > For those interested in making leather lamellar armor, I found these in my friendly local Tandy Leather shop... Boil these suckers and make some cool armor...

        For that price you could buy a couple of sides and make them yourself... though sometimes it's just easier to buy the precut stuff.

        Tasha
      • Doug Saball
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9 4:56 AM
          Hi All,

          We have been working with Tandy Leather for a few years.  If you are a legitimate business with a State tax ID you can get and additional 20% to 25% off.  It is worth checking into.

          It is worth singing up for their digital newsletter.

          We get 85% of our leather stock from Tandy, 100% veggi tan stock.  The remainding15% is scraps from other leather workers, yard sales, and other sources.

          Doug Saball
          Unity ME

          > For those interested in making leather lamellar armor, I found these in my friendly local Tandy Leather shop... Boil these suckers and make some cool armor...

          For that price you could buy a couple of sides and make them yourself... though sometimes it's just easier to buy the precut stuff.

          Tasha

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9 4:09 PM
            I too have been a business customer of Tandy's for quite a few years and also get about 75 to 85% of my leather stock from them. I have a dealer in Wisconsin and one in Maine that I purchase particular pieces from. The only reason I use these other sources is because there are certain pieces I need that I just can't get from Tandy, and yes I DO pay a heavy price for them. I also have picked up deals from E-Bay, and other leather crafters.

            You can really save time and money by working with Tandy. Their Managers are also very knowledgeable and will help you in any way they can. If there is something I need but can't find it or want to be sure they specifically have what I need, I call the store they ship to me from and I ask. I personally find it well worth it for both myself and the business.

            Jim/ Capt.Jack
            Black Pearl Leather & Finery

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Doug Saball <dr_douglittle@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > We have been working with Tandy Leather for a few years.  If you are a legitimate business with a State tax ID you can get and additional 20% to 25% off.  It is worth checking into.
            >
            > It is worth singing up for their digital newsletter.
            >
            > We get 85% of our leather stock from Tandy, 100% veggi tan stock.  The remainding15% is scraps from other leather workers, yard sales, and other sources.
            >
            > Doug Saball
            > Unity ME

          • Timothy Park
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27 12:03 PM
              Probably off topic ...

              One of my favorite sources for "odd" leather and "dead animal parts" is
              Lietzow Taxidermy (spelling of "Lietzow" questionable) located in
              Cosmos, Minnesota (gotta love the name!).

              Visit if you can. With a lot of money. Because you'll want a bit of
              everything.

              I don't think they have much of a formal web page, but they do work with
              people. Call them up, tell them what you're working on, and they will
              make suggestions.

              I have seen everything from cougar pelts, to bits of grizzly, to piles
              of deer, elk, moose, and buffalo -- fur on and fur off. Also antler,
              pipe stone, horse tails ... and on.

              Even saw stingray and I think shark (thinking of hilting that hand
              forged katana anyone?).

              I'm not affiliated with them in any capacity. Just been out there when I
              was living in Minneapolis and while Tandy was hard to work with (after
              all the retail outlets disappeared) and they were able to help a budding
              blacksmith with the right leather to sheath a blade without rusting, and
              get him on the way to making some "irish slippers" with the right
              material, etc.

              YMMV

              Timothy