Re:Period Leather Book Cover

  • Susan Fox
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
      Golly. He may have been a whizzbang genius but this book cover looks
      like something reproduceable by us ordinary mortals. That looks like
      two stamps, and not very perfectly aligned in a row on the straightaways
      either.

      Now I want to get good close-up photos of the square and quarter-circle
      stamps in order to try to reproduce those.

      Susan Fox / Selene Colfox [sca]
      selene@...
    • Carowyn Silveroak
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
        Greetings,

        I'm not sure if da Vinci actually did the cover, or just the drawings -
        the article's unclear, and I checked a few other articles to
        cross-reference, and none mentioned it, so I'm assuming that they don't
        know either. But they're calling it the "da Vinci chess book", for what
        that's worth.

        At least it's a reference point!

        -Carowyn

        > Golly. He may have been a whizzbang genius but this book cover looks
        > like something reproduceable by us ordinary mortals. That looks
        > like two stamps, and not very perfectly aligned in a row on the
        > straightaways either.
        Click here for free information on how to reduce your debt by filing for bankruptcy.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw22U52AWA0V9bhC2Qu79YA9K7AnPptx0dNQRdcjxfjvlUYvH/
      • Leslie Cox
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
          I'd say from the article that the only thing they think Da Vinci did was the
          drawings. Calling it the "Da Vinci chess book" is just a case of celebrity
          headlining, if you know what I mean. Guess they didn't think the other guys
          were famous enough to make folks read the article... ;-)

          -- Lucy Rose Falconer

          I'm not sure if da Vinci actually did the cover, or just the drawings -
          the article's unclear, and I checked a few other articles to
          cross-reference, and none mentioned it, so I'm assuming that they don't
          know either. But they're calling it the "da Vinci chess book", for what
          that's worth.

          At least it's a reference point!

          -Carowyn

          > Golly. He may have been a whizzbang genius but this book cover looks
          > like something reproduceable by us ordinary mortals. That looks
          > like two stamps, and not very perfectly aligned in a row on the
          > straightaways either.
          Click here for free information on how to reduce your debt by filing for
          bankruptcy.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw22U52AWA0V9bhC2Qu79YA9K7
          AnPptx0dNQRdcjxfjvlUYvH/

        • Fred Kullas
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
            What strikes me as odd about this is the 8 x8 squares in the
            illustration. afasihl the 'standard' chess board at this time was 11
            x 11 squares with only half the pieces we have today. The 8x8 didn't
            come into vogue until about 150 years after Leo died.

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Cox"
            <lucyrosefalconer@...> wrote:

            > I'd say from the article that the only thing they think Da Vinci
            did was the
            > drawings. Calling it the "Da Vinci chess book" is just a case of
            celebrity
            > headlining, if you know what I mean. Guess they didn't think the
            other guys
            > were famous enough to make folks read the article... ;-)
            >

            > -- Lucy Rose Falconer

          • Carowyn Silveroak
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
              Greetings,

              > What strikes me as odd about this is the 8 x8 squares in the
              > illustration. afasihl the 'standard' chess board at this time was 11
              > x 11 squares with only half the pieces we have today. The 8x8 didn't
              > come into vogue until about 150 years after Leo died.

              But it was still known - Alfonso's _Book of Games_ (13th century) has
              some 8x8 chess dilemmas, plus some of the funky variants (four-person
              chess, round chess, oval chess, and of course the 11x11 Arcedrex).

              My favorite's still the 7-sided backgammon, the Astronomical Tables.
              Playing for keeps with 7 different flavors of Hershey kisses...mmmm.....

              Freaking out gamers by buying 21 7-sided dice, then explaining why, then
              having to send the URLs of the translated games because it's something he
              hasn't heard of before.....priceless!

              hee hee

              -Carowyn

              Save $15 on Flowers and Gifts from FTD!
              Shop now at http://offers.juno.com/TGL1141/?u=http://www.ftd.com/17007
            • Leslie Cox
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
                Oop - that sounds like fun - send me the URL's so I can freak some folks out
                too (after I figure it out myself... LOL)

                -- Lucy Rose