Period Leather Book Cover

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2008
      Da Vinci Leather Chess Book Cover

      http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03vp2ck2zVdD2/340x.jpg

      Article

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23634081/

      -Carowyn
      Click here and choose from thousands of high quality used cars.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw3bZ8pIuvRznlWPrkhBPOPRTEzsSp4IaANKqSGBPy8AQgVWx/
    • Susan Fox
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
        Golly. He may have been a whizzbang genius but this book cover looks
        like something reproduceable by us ordinary mortals. That looks like
        two stamps, and not very perfectly aligned in a row on the straightaways
        either.

        Now I want to get good close-up photos of the square and quarter-circle
        stamps in order to try to reproduce those.

        Susan Fox / Selene Colfox [sca]
        selene@...
      • Carowyn Silveroak
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
          Greetings,

          I'm not sure if da Vinci actually did the cover, or just the drawings -
          the article's unclear, and I checked a few other articles to
          cross-reference, and none mentioned it, so I'm assuming that they don't
          know either. But they're calling it the "da Vinci chess book", for what
          that's worth.

          At least it's a reference point!

          -Carowyn

          > Golly. He may have been a whizzbang genius but this book cover looks
          > like something reproduceable by us ordinary mortals. That looks
          > like two stamps, and not very perfectly aligned in a row on the
          > straightaways either.
          Click here for free information on how to reduce your debt by filing for bankruptcy.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw22U52AWA0V9bhC2Qu79YA9K7AnPptx0dNQRdcjxfjvlUYvH/
        • Leslie Cox
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
            I'd say from the article that the only thing they think Da Vinci did was the
            drawings. Calling it the "Da Vinci chess book" is just a case of celebrity
            headlining, if you know what I mean. Guess they didn't think the other guys
            were famous enough to make folks read the article... ;-)

            -- Lucy Rose Falconer

            I'm not sure if da Vinci actually did the cover, or just the drawings -
            the article's unclear, and I checked a few other articles to
            cross-reference, and none mentioned it, so I'm assuming that they don't
            know either. But they're calling it the "da Vinci chess book", for what
            that's worth.

            At least it's a reference point!

            -Carowyn

            > Golly. He may have been a whizzbang genius but this book cover looks
            > like something reproduceable by us ordinary mortals. That looks
            > like two stamps, and not very perfectly aligned in a row on the
            > straightaways either.
            Click here for free information on how to reduce your debt by filing for
            bankruptcy.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw22U52AWA0V9bhC2Qu79YA9K7
            AnPptx0dNQRdcjxfjvlUYvH/

          • Fred Kullas
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
              What strikes me as odd about this is the 8 x8 squares in the
              illustration. afasihl the 'standard' chess board at this time was 11
              x 11 squares with only half the pieces we have today. The 8x8 didn't
              come into vogue until about 150 years after Leo died.

              --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Cox"
              <lucyrosefalconer@...> wrote:

              > I'd say from the article that the only thing they think Da Vinci
              did was the
              > drawings. Calling it the "Da Vinci chess book" is just a case of
              celebrity
              > headlining, if you know what I mean. Guess they didn't think the
              other guys
              > were famous enough to make folks read the article... ;-)
              >

              > -- Lucy Rose Falconer

            • Carowyn Silveroak
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
                Greetings,

                > What strikes me as odd about this is the 8 x8 squares in the
                > illustration. afasihl the 'standard' chess board at this time was 11
                > x 11 squares with only half the pieces we have today. The 8x8 didn't
                > come into vogue until about 150 years after Leo died.

                But it was still known - Alfonso's _Book of Games_ (13th century) has
                some 8x8 chess dilemmas, plus some of the funky variants (four-person
                chess, round chess, oval chess, and of course the 11x11 Arcedrex).

                My favorite's still the 7-sided backgammon, the Astronomical Tables.
                Playing for keeps with 7 different flavors of Hershey kisses...mmmm.....

                Freaking out gamers by buying 21 7-sided dice, then explaining why, then
                having to send the URLs of the translated games because it's something he
                hasn't heard of before.....priceless!

                hee hee

                -Carowyn

                Save $15 on Flowers and Gifts from FTD!
                Shop now at http://offers.juno.com/TGL1141/?u=http://www.ftd.com/17007
              • Leslie Cox
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
                  Oop - that sounds like fun - send me the URL's so I can freak some folks out
                  too (after I figure it out myself... LOL)

                  -- Lucy Rose