Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Bombard puzzle molds

  • Amy Diver
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 24, 2008
      Sorry I couldn't be of more help Jeff.
      Yahoo and MSN also have groups like that, where you may be able to link up
      with someone.

      Amy

      On 7/24/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:

      > I think I'm going to have to look harder at this. I did ask locally
      > but, no one had a lathe. Maybe I need to look in another town.
      >
      > I could probably get away with just buying a lathe and using a
      > friends bandsaw, which might actually be more economical since I want
      > several sizes.
      >
      > Amy, I live in the central valley in California. I did actually
      > search the web for a local turners guild but, I believe the closest
      > one that I found was about 70 miles.
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com<medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Amy Diver"
      > <queencalgon@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
      > guild.
      > > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
      > locate one for
      > > you.
      > >
      > > Amy
      > >

      > > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
      > a lathe
      > > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
      > have
      > > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
      > the
      > > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
      > thought
      > > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
      > do this.
      > > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
      > > >
      > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      > > > Jeff
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Amy Diver

      Amy Diver

    • jeff bain
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 25, 2008
        Jon,
        There is actually a drawing of a mold in the File section listed
        under Jackpattern. It needs a little tweeking. I would get rid of
        what I call the stem, bring the body down a little further and not go
        so deep with it. I think the base should only be about an inch or so
        on say a 10 to 12" bombard.Unfortunatly I don't think we live in the
        same state, otherwise I'd be over there right know glueing wood.
        Jeff
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan L Murphy"
        <jon@...> wrote:

        > I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone
        who'd
        > like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.
        >
        > Jon
        > jon@...

      • Sir David Vavreck
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 25, 2008
          I have a lathe and a band saw.

          I could probably be persuaded to make some bombard molds.  Perhaps a trade?

          David

          <jon@...> wrote:

          > I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone
          who'd
          > like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.
          >
          > Jon
          > jon@...

        • jeff bain
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 27, 2008
            Hello all
            I've posted two drawings of the puzzle mold in the files section.
            Slight difference in each on the transition to the foot. I believe
            the form to be very close to originals although I have not completely
            figured out the best way to add the spout in. My plan is to cut a
            piece of round stock to a point and hammer in after the mold has been
            installed. The mold is for a 12" Bombard and you would need to be
            able to print 14" paper to get the whole thing to scale. I used
            Bakers book to get my porportions and design and believe they would
            work for any size but, the larger Bombards seem to have a little
            larger base compared with the body.

            I think I have a line on a local turner but,I won't find out until
            Mon. Jon or David if your interested in making one for me please
            email me and we can work out specifics. David, I'm not sure what
            trade you might be considering but if it's leather work it would have
            to wait until my torn Bicep completely heals. A injury received
            picking up my 120lb dog to put him in my truck after he tore the
            ligaments in his knee.

            Jeff

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Sir David Vavreck
            <baethan1630@...> wrote:

            > I have a lathe and a band saw.
            >
            > I could probably be persuaded to make some bombard molds.  Perhaps
            a trade?

            > David

          • Gregory G. Stapleton
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 27, 2008
              To do my spouts on my bombards, I cut a wedge shaped piece of wood and then
              just forced it down into the mouth of the bombard, after the puzzle mold was
              in place. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

              Gregory G. Stapleton

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 27, 2008
                --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory G. Stapleton"
                <gregsta@...> wrote:

                > To do my spouts on my bombards, I cut a wedge shaped piece of wood
                and then
                > just forced it down into the mouth of the bombard, after the
                puzzle ...

                I use a shaped wedge with mine, the inner surface of the wedge is
                shaped to match the curve at the top of the mould. Makes it easier to
                get in line with the handle and sits a little more securely.

                Wayne