RE: [medieval-leather] Bombard puzzle molds

  • Gregory G. Stapleton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 23 2:22 PM
      Hey, Jeff,

      Yeah, I make my own molds for those, but only because I already had the
      equipment to do so. I'd recommend looking in the Yellow Pages for a
      woodworking shop, or possibly even a cabinet making shop. If you have a
      woodworking shop in town, go there and ask for referrals for a good turner
      and contact a few and see if you can work something out. Hope this helps!

      Gregory G. Stapleton

      List Admin

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 23 3:36 PM
        Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners guild.
        If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help locate one for
        you.

        Amy

        --
        Amy Diver

      • jeff bain
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 24 11:44 AM
          I think I'm going to have to look harder at this. I did ask locally
          but, no one had a lathe. Maybe I need to look in another town.

          I could probably get away with just buying a lathe and using a
          friends bandsaw, which might actually be more economical since I want
          several sizes.

          Amy, I live in the central valley in California. I did actually
          search the web for a local turners guild but, I believe the closest
          one that I found was about 70 miles.

          Jeff

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Diver"
          <queencalgon@...> wrote:

          > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
          guild.
          > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
          locate one for
          > you.
          >
          > Amy
          >

          > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
          a lathe
          > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
          have
          > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
          the
          > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
          thought
          > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
          do this.
          > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
          > >
          > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > > Jeff
          > >

          > --
          > Amy Diver

        • Jonathan L Murphy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 24 11:53 AM
            I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone who'd
            like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.

            Jon
            jon@...

            <queencalgon@...> wrote:

            > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
            guild.
            > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
            locate one for
            > you.
            >
            > Amy
            >

            > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
            a lathe
            > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
            have
            > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
            the
            > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
            thought
            > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
            do this.
            > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
            > >
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            > > Jeff
            > >

            > --
            > Amy Diver

          • Timothy Park
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 24 11:59 AM
              I think I missed some of the messages in this thread, however ...

              Since buying a bandsaw and lathe can run into money ... and time to set
              up and learn (or fix up if you go used) ....

              Among the craftspersons I know in the midwest there are at least two
              turners. If you like I can put you in touch. I'd be surprised if Finnr
              wouldn't be willing to take on making a mold for leatherwork.

              Timothy, a blacksmith

              jeff bain wrote:

              > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and a lathe
              > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to have
              > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally, the
              > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I thought
              > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to do this.
              > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
              >
              > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              > Jeff

            • Amy Diver
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 24 3:12 PM
                Sorry I couldn't be of more help Jeff.
                Yahoo and MSN also have groups like that, where you may be able to link up
                with someone.

                Amy

                On 7/24/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:

                > I think I'm going to have to look harder at this. I did ask locally
                > but, no one had a lathe. Maybe I need to look in another town.
                >
                > I could probably get away with just buying a lathe and using a
                > friends bandsaw, which might actually be more economical since I want
                > several sizes.
                >
                > Amy, I live in the central valley in California. I did actually
                > search the web for a local turners guild but, I believe the closest
                > one that I found was about 70 miles.
                >
                > Jeff
                >
                > --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com<medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Amy Diver"
                > <queencalgon@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
                > guild.
                > > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
                > locate one for
                > > you.
                > >
                > > Amy
                > >

                > > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
                > a lathe
                > > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
                > have
                > > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
                > the
                > > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
                > thought
                > > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
                > do this.
                > > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
                > > >
                > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                > > > Jeff
                > > >

                > > --
                > > Amy Diver

                Amy Diver

              • jeff bain
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 25 12:41 AM
                  Jon,
                  There is actually a drawing of a mold in the File section listed
                  under Jackpattern. It needs a little tweeking. I would get rid of
                  what I call the stem, bring the body down a little further and not go
                  so deep with it. I think the base should only be about an inch or so
                  on say a 10 to 12" bombard.Unfortunatly I don't think we live in the
                  same state, otherwise I'd be over there right know glueing wood.
                  Jeff
                  --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan L Murphy"
                  <jon@...> wrote:

                  > I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone
                  who'd
                  > like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.
                  >
                  > Jon
                  > jon@...

                • Sir David Vavreck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 25 11:41 AM
                    I have a lathe and a band saw.

                    I could probably be persuaded to make some bombard molds.  Perhaps a trade?

                    David

                    <jon@...> wrote:

                    > I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone
                    who'd
                    > like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.
                    >
                    > Jon
                    > jon@...

                  • jeff bain
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 27 11:48 AM
                      Hello all
                      I've posted two drawings of the puzzle mold in the files section.
                      Slight difference in each on the transition to the foot. I believe
                      the form to be very close to originals although I have not completely
                      figured out the best way to add the spout in. My plan is to cut a
                      piece of round stock to a point and hammer in after the mold has been
                      installed. The mold is for a 12" Bombard and you would need to be
                      able to print 14" paper to get the whole thing to scale. I used
                      Bakers book to get my porportions and design and believe they would
                      work for any size but, the larger Bombards seem to have a little
                      larger base compared with the body.

                      I think I have a line on a local turner but,I won't find out until
                      Mon. Jon or David if your interested in making one for me please
                      email me and we can work out specifics. David, I'm not sure what
                      trade you might be considering but if it's leather work it would have
                      to wait until my torn Bicep completely heals. A injury received
                      picking up my 120lb dog to put him in my truck after he tore the
                      ligaments in his knee.

                      Jeff

                      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Sir David Vavreck
                      <baethan1630@...> wrote:

                      > I have a lathe and a band saw.
                      >
                      > I could probably be persuaded to make some bombard molds.  Perhaps
                      a trade?

                      > David

                    • Gregory G. Stapleton
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 27 2:33 PM
                        To do my spouts on my bombards, I cut a wedge shaped piece of wood and then
                        just forced it down into the mouth of the bombard, after the puzzle mold was
                        in place. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

                        Gregory G. Stapleton

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27 9:16 PM
                          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory G. Stapleton"
                          <gregsta@...> wrote:

                          > To do my spouts on my bombards, I cut a wedge shaped piece of wood
                          and then
                          > just forced it down into the mouth of the bombard, after the
                          puzzle ...

                          I use a shaped wedge with mine, the inner surface of the wedge is
                          shaped to match the curve at the top of the mould. Makes it easier to
                          get in line with the handle and sits a little more securely.

                          Wayne