Bombard puzzle molds

  • jeff bain
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 23, 2008
      Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and a lathe
      so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to have
      someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally, the
      gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I thought
      I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to do this.
      I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Jeff
    • Gregory G. Stapleton
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 23, 2008
        Hey, Jeff,

        Yeah, I make my own molds for those, but only because I already had the
        equipment to do so. I'd recommend looking in the Yellow Pages for a
        woodworking shop, or possibly even a cabinet making shop. If you have a
        woodworking shop in town, go there and ask for referrals for a good turner
        and contact a few and see if you can work something out. Hope this helps!

        Gregory G. Stapleton

        List Admin

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 23, 2008
          Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners guild.
          If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help locate one for
          you.

          Amy

          --
          Amy Diver

        • jeff bain
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 24, 2008
            I think I'm going to have to look harder at this. I did ask locally
            but, no one had a lathe. Maybe I need to look in another town.

            I could probably get away with just buying a lathe and using a
            friends bandsaw, which might actually be more economical since I want
            several sizes.

            Amy, I live in the central valley in California. I did actually
            search the web for a local turners guild but, I believe the closest
            one that I found was about 70 miles.

            Jeff

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Diver"
            <queencalgon@...> wrote:

            > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
            guild.
            > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
            locate one for
            > you.
            >
            > Amy
            >

            > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
            a lathe
            > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
            have
            > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
            the
            > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
            thought
            > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
            do this.
            > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
            > >
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            > > Jeff
            > >

            > --
            > Amy Diver

          • Jonathan L Murphy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 24, 2008
              I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone who'd
              like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.

              Jon
              jon@...

              <queencalgon@...> wrote:

              > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
              guild.
              > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
              locate one for
              > you.
              >
              > Amy
              >

              > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
              a lathe
              > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
              have
              > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
              the
              > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
              thought
              > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
              do this.
              > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
              > >
              > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              > > Jeff
              > >

              > --
              > Amy Diver

            • Timothy Park
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 24, 2008
                I think I missed some of the messages in this thread, however ...

                Since buying a bandsaw and lathe can run into money ... and time to set
                up and learn (or fix up if you go used) ....

                Among the craftspersons I know in the midwest there are at least two
                turners. If you like I can put you in touch. I'd be surprised if Finnr
                wouldn't be willing to take on making a mold for leatherwork.

                Timothy, a blacksmith

                jeff bain wrote:

                > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and a lathe
                > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to have
                > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally, the
                > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I thought
                > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to do this.
                > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
                >
                > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                > Jeff

              • Amy Diver
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 24, 2008
                  Sorry I couldn't be of more help Jeff.
                  Yahoo and MSN also have groups like that, where you may be able to link up
                  with someone.

                  Amy

                  On 7/24/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:

                  > I think I'm going to have to look harder at this. I did ask locally
                  > but, no one had a lathe. Maybe I need to look in another town.
                  >
                  > I could probably get away with just buying a lathe and using a
                  > friends bandsaw, which might actually be more economical since I want
                  > several sizes.
                  >
                  > Amy, I live in the central valley in California. I did actually
                  > search the web for a local turners guild but, I believe the closest
                  > one that I found was about 70 miles.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  >
                  > --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com<medieval-leather%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "Amy Diver"
                  > <queencalgon@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Another way is to contact your local wood carvers/wood turners
                  > guild.
                  > > If you can let me know a city/state, I might be able to help
                  > locate one for
                  > > you.
                  > >
                  > > Amy
                  > >

                  > > On 7/23/08, jeff bain <jeff-bain@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hello, I was considering going out and buying me a Bandsaw and
                  > a lathe
                  > > > so that I could attempt my own molds. But, it might be cheaper to
                  > have
                  > > > someone make them for me. I can't seem to find anybody locally,
                  > the
                  > > > gentleman who made my Jack mold is no longer in business. So, I
                  > thought
                  > > > I'd try to see if anybody here knows someone that they trust to
                  > do this.
                  > > > I know Greg has made one but, I wouldn't dream of asking him.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  > > > Jeff
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > Amy Diver

                  Amy Diver

                • jeff bain
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 25, 2008
                    Jon,
                    There is actually a drawing of a mold in the File section listed
                    under Jackpattern. It needs a little tweeking. I would get rid of
                    what I call the stem, bring the body down a little further and not go
                    so deep with it. I think the base should only be about an inch or so
                    on say a 10 to 12" bombard.Unfortunatly I don't think we live in the
                    same state, otherwise I'd be over there right know glueing wood.
                    Jeff
                    --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan L Murphy"
                    <jon@...> wrote:

                    > I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone
                    who'd
                    > like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.
                    >
                    > Jon
                    > jon@...

                  • Sir David Vavreck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 25, 2008
                      I have a lathe and a band saw.

                      I could probably be persuaded to make some bombard molds.  Perhaps a trade?

                      David

                      <jon@...> wrote:

                      > I have both tools and would like to give this a try myself. Anyone
                      who'd
                      > like to try, let me know and we can talk about designs and specs.
                      >
                      > Jon
                      > jon@...

                    • jeff bain
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 27, 2008
                        Hello all
                        I've posted two drawings of the puzzle mold in the files section.
                        Slight difference in each on the transition to the foot. I believe
                        the form to be very close to originals although I have not completely
                        figured out the best way to add the spout in. My plan is to cut a
                        piece of round stock to a point and hammer in after the mold has been
                        installed. The mold is for a 12" Bombard and you would need to be
                        able to print 14" paper to get the whole thing to scale. I used
                        Bakers book to get my porportions and design and believe they would
                        work for any size but, the larger Bombards seem to have a little
                        larger base compared with the body.

                        I think I have a line on a local turner but,I won't find out until
                        Mon. Jon or David if your interested in making one for me please
                        email me and we can work out specifics. David, I'm not sure what
                        trade you might be considering but if it's leather work it would have
                        to wait until my torn Bicep completely heals. A injury received
                        picking up my 120lb dog to put him in my truck after he tore the
                        ligaments in his knee.

                        Jeff

                        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Sir David Vavreck
                        <baethan1630@...> wrote:

                        > I have a lathe and a band saw.
                        >
                        > I could probably be persuaded to make some bombard molds.  Perhaps
                        a trade?

                        > David

                      • Gregory G. Stapleton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27, 2008
                          To do my spouts on my bombards, I cut a wedge shaped piece of wood and then
                          just forced it down into the mouth of the bombard, after the puzzle mold was
                          in place. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

                          Gregory G. Stapleton

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 27, 2008
                            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory G. Stapleton"
                            <gregsta@...> wrote:

                            > To do my spouts on my bombards, I cut a wedge shaped piece of wood
                            and then
                            > just forced it down into the mouth of the bombard, after the
                            puzzle ...

                            I use a shaped wedge with mine, the inner surface of the wedge is
                            shaped to match the curve at the top of the mould. Makes it easier to
                            get in line with the handle and sits a little more securely.

                            Wayne