German Leather covered boxes - information/research

  • Lady Czina Angielczyka
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2008
      Greetings!

      I have a copy of Leder im Europaischen Kunsthandwerk by Gunter Gall,
      and he goes into detail about the 'Box of Sleeping Chivalry',
      including close up pictures and some analysis of style, etc.

      I have an idea for a 'supported' paper based on this project, where I
      write analysis and provide leather re-creations to support the theory.
      However, I am wondering if there is more information available on this
      item, other than Gall's work.

      Does anyone know if there is more information out there on this box,
      and where I could go to find it? I don't read or speak German, so I've
      been typing the text from my book into 2 different online translators
      to get the meaning/context - but any information in English would be
      greatly appreciated, although I'll take what I can get. The box is
      supposedly Franco-Flemish, but it's in the German Leather Museum, and
      I have the catalogue book from them, as well.

      I am really looking for analysis of the leather techniques used on the
      box, and the craftsmanship of the artisan - but any information on the
      box in general will be of help, too. I know Waterer showed a picture
      in his book(s), but didn't give much detail.

      Thank you!

      Czina Angielczyka
      Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra