Re: Goubitz (2007), Purses in Pieces.

  • frasercrowe
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
      This book certainly does add a great deal to my own knowledge of
      period pouches (which admittedly wasn't much before). I had made some
      pretty good guesse about some of the techniques, such as attaching
      the external pouchlets, but there are details of construction that I
      would never have guessed at without this book.
      One of the things that struck me was the data showed that only a one
      in fifteen ratio of the recovered pouches used a buckle and strap for
      closure, while the rest relied on simple gravity to hold the bag
      flaps shut. I won't stress so much now about having period style
      buckles for my pieces.
      Has anyone here attempted any of the more involved pouches in this
      book yet? Id love to see them if you have. I'm about to start on one
      of the so-called money-changers pouches and one of the multiple-
      bodied kidney pouches.

      Herluin

      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Alasdair Muckart
      <silver@...> wrote:> I have it. It is excellent if a little brief in
      places (due I'm sure to lack

      http://wherearetheelves.blogspot.com
      > "Any sufficiently advanced stupididty is indistinguishable from
      malice"
      > -- James D. Macdonald
    • Robert McL
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
        I constructed several purses of the "Dordrecht" Kidney type about 14
        years ago. A friend from the East Coast Simon Spaulding had been
        working in museums around Europe in the early 1990'S and managed to
        get a rough pattern of what he called the Spitzbergen purse. I made
        this pouch for the Chief of Clan MacColin - a the Irish/Highland group
        at the Southern California Renaissance faire.
        I am now reconstructing several of the pouches illustrated in Purses
        in Pieces and will be teaching a class in their construction at
        Costume College of the West in Los Angeles this coming August.
        You may also know that "Stepping through Time" shows similar pouches
        to the Dordrecht finds. A common practice amoung thieves in the 14th
        to 16th century was to keep the buckles from purses they stole to be
        reused possibly on belts or elsewhere as keeping a nobleman or
        merchant's purse would have been too risky but the buckles which were
        often of the double D type were not clearly identifiable this may
        explain the missing buckles. I can tell you that my friend used his
        purse for the last 14 years and the only modification I ever made on
        it was to strengthen the outside flap.

        I will take some pictures soon. I have the original purse I made in my
        possession again and right now it is literally in pieces!
        By the way I used several different types of hide in constructing the
        purse ie goat for the soft inner pouch and a more rigid cowhide for
        places the purse needed to be stiffer.

        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "frasercrowe"