Re: [medieval-leather] leather dye

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2008
      Greetings,

      > I guess the bigger question is.... Can leather amour be
      > documented in those areas? I have been looking through the academic
      sources for years. I
      > have found mention of a possible leather akton (similar to a gambison)
      > in Ireland. I have seen no other primary source for leather being
      > used.Thesagas state reindeer armour was used in Scandinavia by a
      > few people.

      Check out this book:

      ARMOUR FROM THE BATTLE OF WISBY - 1361 by Brian Price

      It shows the lamellar armor from the Battle of Wisby. It may not be the
      time & place you're looking for, but at least it has leather armor. (And
      a biblio)

      I got the book's name from Lord Jayme Hume, a shire member who was making
      leather armor for his daughter.

      -Carowyn

    • Robert McL
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 20 5:19 PM
        Thank you - that was a real pleasure to see.

        Robert
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Anna Troy <owly3@...> wrote:

        > Lookie what I found
        > http://www.albrechts.se/pdfer/swedishshoes.pdf
        >
        > Anna T
        >
        > "So many books, so little time"
        >
        > "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
        > http://annat.net/ac

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 23 4:56 AM
          The pictures are wonderful, it's a pitty that there are no dates against them.

          Colin