A collection of Swedish shoe photos

  • Anna Troy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 18, 2008
      Lookie what I found
      http://www.albrechts.se/pdfer/swedishshoes.pdf

      Anna T

      "So many books, so little time"

      "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
      http://annat.net/ac
    • kajsa_nikulasdotter
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 18, 2008
        Anna! THAT's FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing.
        Kajsa

        > Lookie what I found
        > http://www.albrechts.se/pdfer/swedishshoes.pdf
        >
        > Anna T
      • Kiley Glass
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
          So cool! I hope you'll put that in the archives for the list so we can refer back to it for inspiration?

          Caileigh

          kajsa_nikulasdotter <kajsa@...> wrote:
          Anna! THAT's FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing.
          Kajsa

          > Lookie what I found
          > http://www.albrechts.se/pdfer/swedishshoes.pdf
          >
          > Anna T

        • Kiley Glass
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
            If folks can help, or point me toward a book that can help I'd appreciate it.

            I've got some neat dye stuff, and I've got leather. I'm making armour with it. I see people fighting in the SCA with colored leather all the time, but don't know if it's really period. I'm not looking to judge them on that, just curious and figuring out what to do myself.

            Early period, leather armour, possibly Wales before the Rebellion, or other Celtic regions..would it sometimes be dyed? How would they have done that? What colors might they have produced? I do have books about what dyes were used, where and when, but for fabrics. Would the same have been used on leather? Or would leather armour not have merited that kind of expense? I'm cutting fishscales, and thinking it could be the wrong direction to head with this. It was easier to commit to marry my husband than this armour.

            Caileigh

          • Sethrun Magaoinghous
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
              I guess the bigger question is.... Can leather amour be documented in those
              areas? I have been looking through the academic sources for years. I have
              found mention of a possible leather akton (similar to a gambison) in
              Ireland. I have seen no other primary source for leather being
              used.Thesagas state reindeer armour was used in Scandinavia by a few
              people.
              Literary references state cloth, maile, and one source in 1171 of metal
              lamilar. I used leather lamilar prior to getting my maile. Works great for
              sca fighting but as for evidence? That being said if it will be
              undocumentable go ahead and make it look pretty. If anyone has primary
              source evidence please share. I have looked at all the published and many
              unpublished works related to 500 AD to 1200 AD for Ireland, Scotland, Wales
              and Normandy.
              Seth

              On Jan 22, 2008 5:45 PM, Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@...> wrote:

              > If folks can help, or point me toward a book that can help I'd
              > appreciate it.
              >
              > I've got some neat dye stuff, and I've got leather. I'm making armour with
              > it. I see people fighting in the SCA with colored leather all the time, but
              > don't know if it's really period. I'm not looking to judge them on that,
              > just curious and figuring out what to do myself.
              >
              > Early period, leather armour, possibly Wales before the Rebellion, or
              > other Celtic regions..would it sometimes be dyed? How would they have done
              > that? What colors might they have produced? I do have books about what dyes
              > were used, where and when, but for fabrics. Would the same have been used on
              > leather? Or would leather armour not have merited that kind of expense? I'm
              > cutting fishscales, and thinking it could be the wrong direction to head
              > with this. It was easier to commit to marry my husband than this armour.
              >
              > Caileigh

              Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
              Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to
              battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.

            • Brian macTomais
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
                If you are wanting to find more on period leather dyes then I would suggest:

                http://www.elizabethancostume.net/dyes/

                as a good online source (with sources from pre-800AD to 1600). Please
                note that many of the recipes here are to be used on Alum tawed
                leather and not veg-tan. The same can be said for "The Plictho"
                translated by Edelstein and Borghetty (ISBN-13: 978-0262180306) which
                I would recommend ILL'ing from your local library.

                Since they were working with a white leather and not brown they were
                able to produce blues, greens, scarlets, and black.

                Brian

                On 1/22/08, Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@...> wrote:

                > If folks can help, or point me toward a book that can help I'd appreciate
                > it.
                >
                > I've got some neat dye stuff, and I've got leather. I'm making armour with
                > it. I see people fighting in the SCA with colored leather all the time, but
                > don't know if it's really period. I'm not looking to judge them on that,
                > just curious and figuring out what to do myself.
                >
                > Early period, leather armour, possibly Wales before the Rebellion, or other
                > Celtic regions..would it sometimes be dyed? How would they have done that?
                > What colors might they have produced? I do have books about what dyes were
                > used, where and when, but for fabrics. Would the same have been used on
                > leather? Or would leather armour not have merited that kind of expense? I'm
                > cutting fishscales, and thinking it could be the wrong direction to head
                > with this. It was easier to commit to marry my husband than this armour.
                >
                > Caileigh

              • Anna Troy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                  Eh no. It isn't mine so... But it's easy enough to
                  save to your own computer, just press "Save" :-)

                  Anna T

                  --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@...> wrote:
                  > So cool! I hope you'll put that in the archives for
                  > the list so we can refer back to it for inspiration?
                  >
                  > Caileigh
                  >
                  > kajsa_nikulasdotter <kajsa@...> wrote:
                  > Anna! THAT's FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing.
                  > Kajsa
                  >
                  > > Lookie what I found
                  > > http://www.albrechts.se/pdfer/swedishshoes.pdf
                  > >
                  > > Anna T

                  > removed]
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  > mailto:medieval-leather-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  "So many books, so little time"

                  "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
                  http://annat.net/ac
                • Kiley Glass
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                    Seth,

                    Yes, all I'm seeing is metal in my books as well, but these books aren't exhaustive, and I was hoping there was more. I don't want to fight in chain, thought that would probably be the best choice historically. If I do find documentation I'll let you know. The alternative would be do do the armour from a different place and time that does use leather.

                    Caileigh

                    Sethrun Magaoinghous <sethrun.magaoinghous@...> wrote:
                    I guess the bigger question is.... Can leather amour be documented in those
                    areas? I have been looking through the academic sources for years. I have
                    found mention of a possible leather akton (similar to a gambison) in
                    Ireland. I have seen no other primary source for leather being
                    used.Thesagas state reindeer armour was used in Scandinavia by a few
                    people.

                    Recent Activity

                    3
                    New Members

                    Visit Your Group
                    Only on Yahoo!
                    World of Star Wars
                    Meet fans, watch
                    videos & more.

                    Sitebuilder
                    Build a web site
                    quickly & easily
                    with Sitebuilder.

                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Improvement Zone
                    Make and keep
                    New Year's goals.

                    .

                  • Kiley Glass
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                      Brian,

                      Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll find lots there to help sort out these things, and hopefully a good bibliography.

                      Caileigh

                      Brian macTomais <fhoghladha@...> wrote:
                      If you are wanting to find more on period leather dyes then I would suggest:

                      http://www.elizabethancostume.net/dyes/

                      Recent Activity

                      3
                      New Members

                      Visit Your Group
                      Star Wars on Y!
                      Discover new content
                      Connect with other
                      fans & upload video.

                      Moderator Central
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Join and receive
                      produce updates.

                      Cat Groups
                      on Yahoo! Groups
                      Share pictures &
                      stories about cats.

                      .

                    • Carowyn Silveroak
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2008
                        Greetings,

                        > I guess the bigger question is.... Can leather amour be
                        > documented in those areas? I have been looking through the academic
                        sources for years. I
                        > have found mention of a possible leather akton (similar to a gambison)
                        > in Ireland. I have seen no other primary source for leather being
                        > used.Thesagas state reindeer armour was used in Scandinavia by a
                        > few people.

                        Check out this book:

                        ARMOUR FROM THE BATTLE OF WISBY - 1361 by Brian Price

                        It shows the lamellar armor from the Battle of Wisby. It may not be the
                        time & place you're looking for, but at least it has leather armor. (And
                        a biblio)

                        I got the book's name from Lord Jayme Hume, a shire member who was making
                        leather armor for his daughter.

                        -Carowyn

                      • Robert McL
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 20, 2008
                          Thank you - that was a real pleasure to see.

                          Robert
                          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Anna Troy <owly3@...> wrote:

                          > Lookie what I found
                          > http://www.albrechts.se/pdfer/swedishshoes.pdf
                          >
                          > Anna T
                          >
                          > "So many books, so little time"
                          >
                          > "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
                          > http://annat.net/ac

                        • Colin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 23, 2008
                            The pictures are wonderful, it's a pitty that there are no dates against them.

                            Colin