Re: [medieval-leather] Just uploaded some photos of what I've done recently...

  • babiemine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
      Bravo

      -----Original Message-----
      From: legviiii <legviiii@...>
      To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 2:32 am
      Subject: [medieval-leather] Just uploaded some photos of what I've done recently...

      Showing off again! The first is a costrel, an approximate copy from the

      Mary Rose find number 81A2034. This one is a little too tall, and was

      done using a piece of leather that I'd accidentally cut too narrow for

      the copy of 81A0881 I did some months ago. Volume is 1.8L (3.2 pints).

      Ends were done with a new clamp - because its more or less fully

      enclosed, they took a couple of hours to dry. The paint is gouache for

      the pigment and carrier, with a drop or two of gum arabic as a binder.

      The other is a Rus (Viking) knife. Forged iron/steel blade, bone hilt,

      brass and leather sheath. The angle on the suspension chains isn't

      quite right, but still not bad. The blade, hilt and scabbard are a

      combination of the elements from three or four knives in the Hermatage,

      Russia.

      Wayne

    • Vince Woodard
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
        For the lining, Are you pitching, waxing or heaven forbid - epoxy ;) Just
        wondering. Very nice work by the way! Are you using the same weight
        leather for the ends as the body? I tried doing one without pre-forming the
        ends... didn't try another one for a few years after that.

        Showing off again! The first is a costrel, an approximate copy from the
        Mary Rose find number 81A2034. This one is a little too tall, and was
        done using a piece of leather that I'd accidentally cut too narrow for
        the copy of 81A0881 I did some months ago. Volume is 1.8L (3.2 pints).
        Ends were done with a new clamp - because its more or less fully
        enclosed, they took a couple of hours to dry. The paint is gouache for
        the pigment and carrier, with a drop or two of gum arabic as a binder.

        The other is a Rus (Viking) knife. Forged iron/steel blade, bone hilt,
        brass and leather sheath. The angle on the suspension chains isn't
        quite right, but still not bad. The blade, hilt and scabbard are a
        combination of the elements from three or four knives in the Hermatage,
        Russia.

        Wayne

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • legviiii
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
          The lining is pitch, I use the honey coloured pitch inside bottles and
          black in jugs where it can be seen. Yes, the leather at the ends is the
          same weight as the body, 4mm harness butt. I'm going to do a Mary Rode
          bucket when I get the courage up to cut a large piece of 6mm.

          Wayne.

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Woodard" <vwoodard@...>
          wrote:

          > For the lining, Are you pitching, waxing or heaven forbid - epoxy ;)
          Just
          > wondering. Very nice work by the way! Are you using the same weight
          > leather for the ends as the body? I tried doing one without pre-
          forming the
          > ends... didn't try another one for a few years after that.

        • G. G. Stapleton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
            Well done, Wayne! Nice work!

            Gregory G. Stapleton