Just uploaded some photos of what I've done recently...

  • legviiii
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
      Showing off again! The first is a costrel, an approximate copy from the
      Mary Rose find number 81A2034. This one is a little too tall, and was
      done using a piece of leather that I'd accidentally cut too narrow for
      the copy of 81A0881 I did some months ago. Volume is 1.8L (3.2 pints).
      Ends were done with a new clamp - because its more or less fully
      enclosed, they took a couple of hours to dry. The paint is gouache for
      the pigment and carrier, with a drop or two of gum arabic as a binder.

      The other is a Rus (Viking) knife. Forged iron/steel blade, bone hilt,
      brass and leather sheath. The angle on the suspension chains isn't
      quite right, but still not bad. The blade, hilt and scabbard are a
      combination of the elements from three or four knives in the Hermatage,
      Russia.

      Wayne
    • babiemine@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
        Bravo

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
          For the lining, Are you pitching, waxing or heaven forbid - epoxy ;) Just
          wondering. Very nice work by the way! Are you using the same weight
          leather for the ends as the body? I tried doing one without pre-forming the
          ends... didn't try another one for a few years after that.

          Showing off again! The first is a costrel, an approximate copy from the
          Mary Rose find number 81A2034. This one is a little too tall, and was
          done using a piece of leather that I'd accidentally cut too narrow for
          the copy of 81A0881 I did some months ago. Volume is 1.8L (3.2 pints).
          Ends were done with a new clamp - because its more or less fully
          enclosed, they took a couple of hours to dry. The paint is gouache for
          the pigment and carrier, with a drop or two of gum arabic as a binder.

          The other is a Rus (Viking) knife. Forged iron/steel blade, bone hilt,
          brass and leather sheath. The angle on the suspension chains isn't
          quite right, but still not bad. The blade, hilt and scabbard are a
          combination of the elements from three or four knives in the Hermatage,
          Russia.

          Wayne

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • legviiii
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
            The lining is pitch, I use the honey coloured pitch inside bottles and
            black in jugs where it can be seen. Yes, the leather at the ends is the
            same weight as the body, 4mm harness butt. I'm going to do a Mary Rode
            bucket when I get the courage up to cut a large piece of 6mm.

            Wayne.

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Woodard" <vwoodard@...>
            wrote:

            > For the lining, Are you pitching, waxing or heaven forbid - epoxy ;)
            Just
            > wondering. Very nice work by the way! Are you using the same weight
            > leather for the ends as the body? I tried doing one without pre-
            forming the
            > ends... didn't try another one for a few years after that.

          • G. G. Stapleton
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
              Well done, Wayne! Nice work!

              Gregory G. Stapleton