Re: [medieval-leather] Goubitz (2007), Purses in Pieces.

  • Fraser Crowe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
      Excellent!
      One of my Ladies pre-purchased it for my Yule/birthday gift. I'm really looking forward to it to getting it. By the by, I just received Waterers' 'Leather Craftsmanship' and the Museum of London's book on medieval horse equipment. Both are most excellent, though I wish the Waterer book had more photos...

      Herluin

      Bertus Brokamp <bertbrok@...> wrote: Alas Goubitz died half a year ago, but before he did he managed to
      write this last book:

      GOUBITZ, OLAF. Purses in Pieces: Archaeological finds of late medieval
      and 16th-century leather purses, pouches, bags and cases in the
      Netherlands. Zwolle, Stichting Promotie Archeologie, 2007. With 212
      text-figures. Stiff wrappers. 118 pp.

      You can buy it here:
      http://www.halos.nl/detail.php?booknr=93437
      Through 'Home' you can access the english version of the website*

      Bertus

    • frasercrowe
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
        This book certainly does add a great deal to my own knowledge of
        period pouches (which admittedly wasn't much before). I had made some
        pretty good guesse about some of the techniques, such as attaching
        the external pouchlets, but there are details of construction that I
        would never have guessed at without this book.
        One of the things that struck me was the data showed that only a one
        in fifteen ratio of the recovered pouches used a buckle and strap for
        closure, while the rest relied on simple gravity to hold the bag
        flaps shut. I won't stress so much now about having period style
        buckles for my pieces.
        Has anyone here attempted any of the more involved pouches in this
        book yet? Id love to see them if you have. I'm about to start on one
        of the so-called money-changers pouches and one of the multiple-
        bodied kidney pouches.

        Herluin

        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Alasdair Muckart
        <silver@...> wrote:> I have it. It is excellent if a little brief in
        places (due I'm sure to lack

        http://wherearetheelves.blogspot.com
        > "Any sufficiently advanced stupididty is indistinguishable from
        malice"
        > -- James D. Macdonald
      • Robert McL
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
          I constructed several purses of the "Dordrecht" Kidney type about 14
          years ago. A friend from the East Coast Simon Spaulding had been
          working in museums around Europe in the early 1990'S and managed to
          get a rough pattern of what he called the Spitzbergen purse. I made
          this pouch for the Chief of Clan MacColin - a the Irish/Highland group
          at the Southern California Renaissance faire.
          I am now reconstructing several of the pouches illustrated in Purses
          in Pieces and will be teaching a class in their construction at
          Costume College of the West in Los Angeles this coming August.
          You may also know that "Stepping through Time" shows similar pouches
          to the Dordrecht finds. A common practice amoung thieves in the 14th
          to 16th century was to keep the buckles from purses they stole to be
          reused possibly on belts or elsewhere as keeping a nobleman or
          merchant's purse would have been too risky but the buckles which were
          often of the double D type were not clearly identifiable this may
          explain the missing buckles. I can tell you that my friend used his
          purse for the last 14 years and the only modification I ever made on
          it was to strengthen the outside flap.

          I will take some pictures soon. I have the original purse I made in my
          possession again and right now it is literally in pieces!
          By the way I used several different types of hide in constructing the
          purse ie goat for the soft inner pouch and a more rigid cowhide for
          places the purse needed to be stiffer.

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "frasercrowe"