Greetings and Help Needed

  • witheapfionn
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007
      Greetings Good Gentles,

      I'm new to this group.
      I've been experimenting with leather work (mostly assembly and pattern
      making), but am still not very good. Lack of consistent practice, I'm
      sure.

      I recently made a leather thimble to cushion my thumb when carving
      bone. This weekend I'm entering our kingdom A&S Pentathlon
      competition, and I'm looking for help on something.

      Specifically, references to (or extant examples of!) leather thimbles.

      So far, I have this:
      http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/knowbase/docs/0010_PinsNeedles.htm
      Bibliography
      * The History of Needlework Tools and Accessories, Sylvia Groves,
      David & Charles, 1966
      * Old Needlework Boxes and Tools, Mary Andere
      * An Illustrated History of Needlework Tools, Gay Ann Rodgers
      Pins and Needles
      Author: Sandra Costello
      Orders of the day, Volume 33, Issue 3, 2001
      Thimbles
      "These date back to the earliest times, originally a small bell-shaped
      cap of leather made to be worn on the thumb in sewing, then of bronze
      dating from Roman times."

      Does anyone have any other references for thimbles made of leather?
      Within SCA period (ideally pre 16th century)?

      Thanks in advance for any help or search suggestions you can offer.

      While the Pentathlon is this weekend and I'd love to include a better
      reference in my documentation, I'd also enjoy any feedback you
      can give even if it is after the event. (this is really bugging me,
      can you tell?)

      Of course, I made the typical beginners' mistake of making the object,
      then trying to document it after the fact. :(

      Lady Withe of Caldrithig
    • Richard Mowbray
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007
        Hi,

        Anybody got any plans or good consrtuction info on a Turkish horse
        arher's bow-and-arrow quiver? The very distinctive curved kind that
        hangs at the hip, common for many centuries.

        -Richard

        Be a better pen pal.
      • Bill Worth
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007
          I have a friend that does horse Archery as a hobby and loves to do it in Garb
          Sir Tracker here in the Outlands is a Hungarian (spell ? ) Persona But is VERY Knowledgeable
          Flanagan

          Richard Mowbray <syrrichard@...> wrote:
          Hi,

          Anybody got any plans or good consrtuction info on a Turkish horse
          arher's bow-and-arrow quiver? The very distinctive curved kind that
          hangs at the hip, common for many centuries.

          -Richard

          Bill Worth
          A.K.A.
          Sir William Flanagan
          http://www.myspace.com/fighting_irish_knight
          The reason Irish fight so often among themselves
          is that they're always assured of having a worthy opponent.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007
            At 10:59 AM 11/15/2007, you wrote:
            >Greetings Good Gentles,
            >
            >I'm new to this group.
            >I've been experimenting with leather work (mostly assembly and pattern
            >making), but am still not very good. Lack of consistent practice, I'm
            >sure.
            >
            >I recently made a leather thimble to cushion my thumb when carving
            >bone. This weekend I'm entering our kingdom A&S Pentathlon
            >competition, and I'm looking for help on something.
            >
            >Specifically, references to (or extant examples of!) leather thimbles.

            Hmm, that's a tough one. I've got good references to thimbles in
            various metals, horn, bone, and ivory, A leather one, while quick
            and cheap to make, is one of those things that probably wouldn't
            survive, or even be recognized as what it is. I've often taken a
            scrap and made various forms when I was having a fight with things
            like using a glover's needle on leather that turned out to be tougher
            than expected.

            You can look up "stitching palm", but really thimbles are so easy to
            make from the smallest bit's of metal, that very few would have made
            a leather one for anything other than a momentary need, in my opinion
            (and as best as research has shown me).

            al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
            Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
            ronch2@... or afn03234@...
          • babiemine@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007
              If your interested I can take pictures of my bow and arrow quivers. That should help....

              Sir David

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007
                You might try looking at Grozer's archery page. He makes various style
                horse bows and quivers. I've made a Scythian style bowcase/quiver but can give
                some ideas.

                -Grimald

                _Grozer Traditional Recurve Bows Hungary_
                (http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_m.htm)
                _Grimald's Leahter Works - Home_ (http://grimaldsleatherworks.com/)

              • Richard Mowbray
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 16, 2007
                  That sounds great.

                  -Richard

                  --- babiemine@... wrote:

                  > If your interested I can take pictures of my bow and arrow quivers.
                  > That should help....
                  >
                  > Sir David

                  Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • jonathanwexler1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
                    Try ATARN, the Asian Traditional Archery Research Network. In their
                    old foles you will find a contributor named Linda Cherry. She has 3
                    patterns including a Turkish and Mamluk quiver.