Re: [medieval-leather] was N.F.G. here now Armor

  • Bill Worth
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
      Hey look what I found surfing around
      http://www.museumofleathercraft.org/

      They seem to have the Book on sale there too Just scroll all the way down
      Flanagan

      Ron Charlotte <ronch2@...> wrote:
      At 10:28 AM 11/7/2007, Jon wrote:

      >Is there any refernce for a leather gorget at all? My understanding as
      >an armourer is that the metal gorget appears in the 1500s as collar
      >plates to support the top of a breastplate and backplate (made
      >neccessary by the shortening of the plates at the shoulders to square
      >them off over the top of the chest.)
      >
      >Am I completeley off track here? Is there another reason for the gorget?

      If you can lay hands on it, James Waterer's _Leather and the Warrior_
      might help. It's not in my library, but is on my list to eventually acquire.

      I'll have to do a bit more poking about. Leather armor parts have
      always been something of a hit and miss thing, research wise.

      al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
      Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
      ronch2@... or afn03234@...

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Bill Worth
      A.K.A.
      Sir William Flanagan
      http://www.myspace.com/fighting_irish_knight
      The reason Irish fight so often among themselves
      is that they're always assured of having a worthy opponent.

    • Leslie Cox
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
        Thanks much for the link - that doublet on the homepage sure is a pretty
        thing.

        -- Lady Lucy Rose Falconer
        Shire of Glyn Dwfn, Kingdom of An Tir
        (Leslie Cox - Medford, OR)

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
          No problem , it is cool looking and I bet comfortable still searching for this Leather and the warrior book
          Abes used books shows it for 80 dollars
          but whats Crazy Amazon shows it used for 180.00 and new 187.00 dollars
          Flanagan

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
            At 08:31 PM 11/7/2007, Bill wrote:
            >Hey look what I found surfing around
            ><http://www.museumofleathercraft.org/>http://www.museumofleathercraft.org/
            >
            >They seem to have the Book on sale there too Just scroll all the way down
            >Flanagan

            Way cool. I haven't check the MOLC site for some time. For a very
            long time, it wasn't being maintained, so I kinda forgot about it.

          • Lady Czina Angielczyka
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2007
              If anyone from the states orders from the MoLC - please post whether
              they take credit cards and if they have online ordering? I've been
              meaning to contact them, so I could order many of their books for sale
              (just about everything from Waterer, just to get good copies, and to
              support the museum) - but I haven't had the chance to contact them
              about it.

              Of course - if anyone is going to England, I'd be happy to send a
              bundle of cash to get books ... so many books, so far away.

              Czina Angielczyka
              Waiting for the winning lottery ticket (or something) to finance the
              European Leather History Extravaganza

              --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Bill Worth <sirflanagn@...>
              wrote:

              > Hey look what I found surfing around
              > http://www.museumofleathercraft.org/
              >
              > They seem to have the Book on sale there too Just scroll all the
              way down
              > Flanagan

            • Bill Worth
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2007
                I am Trying to work it out with them
                They asked me to call them with a Credit card # But when I did no answer
                So I left a message asking if we could order via e-mail or fax
                no answer as of yet :-(
                Flanagan

                Lady Czina Angielczyka <cynna@...> wrote: If anyone from the states orders from the MoLC - please post whether