Re: [medieval-leather] Good soft calfskin

  • Liz Brodie
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
      I can't say how good they are, I only found them on the net the other
      week. But, they are in NZ, and I believe the prices aren't too bad
      for what we were looking at. I didn't think to ask if they did samples.

      Liz/Alyenora

      Quoting Alasdair Muckart <silver@...>:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Can anyone point me at a known-good supplier of reasonably quality veg tanned
      > soft calf or goatskin in 2-3oz weights? I need some for the drawstring
      > component of purses and it looks like I'm going to have to get it from
      > overseas (I'm in New Zealand). I've looked at places like Siegel of
      > California and they've got calfskin in the right weight but I need something
      > with quite a soft hand and I can't tell that reliably from websites.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > --
      > Alasdair Muckart | William de Wyke | http://wherearetheelves.blogspot.com
      > "Any sufficiently advanced stupididty is indistinguishable from malice"
      > -- James D. Macdonald

    • Liz Brodie
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
        http://www.nswleather.com.au/

        these people also have a branch in NZ, and may be willing to ship
        samples? When Roger got some prices from them, they didn't seem too
        badly priced.

        "Our range consist of cow, kid, goat, sheep, pig lining and buffalo
        leathers.Various tanning methods apply such as full chrome, semi chrome,
        aniline ,semi aniline and full veg."

        Liz

        Alasdair Muckart wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Can anyone point me at a known-good supplier of reasonably quality veg tanned
        > soft calf or goatskin in 2-3oz weights? I need some for the drawstring
        > component of purses and it looks like I'm going to have to get it from
        > overseas (I'm in New Zealand). I've looked at places like Siegel of
        > California and they've got calfskin in the right weight but I need something
        > with quite a soft hand and I can't tell that reliably from websites.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • legviiii
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
          Don't know about the NZ branch, but I regularly buy from the Sydney
          one.

          The calf skin is magnificient! I usally buy the second class hides as
          I don't mind the odd mark or two so that saves further on the price.
          If you want something really soft, they have some sheepskin that's
          veg tanned, it tends to stretch a little so you may find you have to
          line the purses with linen or wool fabric.

          I usually go into the shop and tell them exactly what I'm making,
          they guys there are used to a few of us that do historical
          leatherwork and are able to pick the best hide for what we're trying
          to do.

          Wayne

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Liz Brodie <falke@...> wrote:

          > I can't say how good they are, I only found them on the net the
          other
          > week. But, they are in NZ, and I believe the prices aren't too
          bad
          > for what we were looking at. I didn't think to ask if they did
          samples.

          > Liz/Alyenora
          >
          > Quoting Alasdair Muckart <silver@...>:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Can anyone point me at a known-good supplier of reasonably
          quality veg tanned
          > > soft calf or goatskin in 2-3oz weights? I need some for the
          drawstring
          > > component of purses and it looks like I'm going to have to get it
          from
          > > overseas (I'm in New Zealand). I've looked at places like Siegel
          of
          > > California and they've got calfskin in the right weight but I
          need something
          > > with quite a soft hand and I can't tell that reliably from
          websites.

          > > Thanks.
          > > --
          > > Alasdair Muckart | William de Wyke |
          http://wherearetheelves.blogspot.com
          > > "Any sufficiently advanced stupididty is indistinguishable from
          malice"
          > > -- James D. Macdonald
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Alasdair Muckart
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
            On Thursday 25 October 2007 12:39:07 pm legviiii wrote:
            > Don't know about the NZ branch, but I regularly buy from the Sydney
            > one.
            >
            > The calf skin is magnificient! I usally buy the second class hides as
            > I don't mind the odd mark or two so that saves further on the price.
            > If you want something really soft, they have some sheepskin that's
            > veg tanned, it tends to stretch a little so you may find you have to
            > line the purses with linen or wool fabric.

            I've got some nice firm yearling for the body of the purses I'm just after
            something good for the little drawstring bags on the front. Veg tanned sheep
            or goat would be perfect I think.

            Thank you Liz and Wayne for your replies. I'll get in touch with them and see
            about getting this project underway.