Re:Cleaning Leather

  • The Dudleys
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Greetings Michael,

      A couple things that would make a difference: What type of pen, e.g. ink
      or Sharpie? Did it leave a groove or just an ink line? Is the leather in
      question tooling veg tan or sueded chrome tan? Is the leather raw or
      stained/dyed? Has the leather been sealed yet, e.g. acrylic in its many forms?

      If possible, take a piece of scrap and recreate the stain/ink mark. Then
      experiment until you find something that works.

      Be very careful with solvents, they can spread the stain. I tend toward
      the mild abrasive qualities of a pink eraser. I just removed Sharpie ink
      from a piece of unsealed leather with one. If the leather is sealed, I use
      kitchen (green) or polishing grade (white) Scotchbrite to carefully remove
      the sealer around the offending stain. Then I use the eraser and
      reseal. Scotchbrite also works great for completely removing acrylic from
      larger areas needing rework of some kind.

      I've had very little success removing blue ink where a ball point has left
      a groove. As a last resort, consider stamping or tooling over the mark to
      camouflage it. Once again, try it on scrap first. If the piece has been
      antique stained instead of dyed, I've also had a certain amount of luck
      making black ink look like just another personality mark in the leather.

      Good luck, and let us know if you find any "magical" solutions to a common
      problem.

      Best regards,
      Friedrich Breckner
      Favour Leather Works

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        At 07:16 PM 9/30/2007, Michael wrote:
        >OK, here is a slight challenge. I have a leather pouch I have put a
        >lot of work into, and it has aquired a pen mark. I am looking for a
        >way to remove it.

        What kind of pen, and what is the finish on the leather?

      • Michael Walden
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@...>
          wrote:

          > At 07:16 PM 9/30/2007, Michael wrote:
          > >OK, here is a slight challenge. I have a leather pouch I have put a
          > >lot of work into, and it has aquired a pen mark. I am looking for a
          > >way to remove it.

          OK, my bad. The ink is from a gel pen (I don't know how long it has
          been there prior to my finding it). The leather is a Stoned Oil
          Cowhide Side-Tan (Tandy Stk # 9070-04). The pouch is already finished
          or I would just replace the gusset (the stitching was done with hand
          split sinue). Any idea would be helpfull. I do have scrap to test out
          ideas on.

          Thanks

          Michael Walden
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
            At 12:01 PM 10/3/2007, Michael Walden wrote:
            >OK, my bad. The ink is from a gel pen (I don't know how long it has
            >been there prior to my finding it). The leather is a Stoned Oil
            >Cowhide Side-Tan (Tandy Stk # 9070-04). The pouch is already finished
            >or I would just replace the gusset (the stitching was done with hand
            >split sinue). Any idea would be helpfull. I do have scrap to test out
            >ideas on.

            For gel pen ink, try alcohol on a q-tip first. That sounds like one
            of the partially oil treated leathers, and it may not have penetrated
            the surface. You may have to use your scrap to test (set the test
            inkspot with a hair dryer so that it's fully cured. Gel ink is very
            different when it's fresh than when it's set).