Cleaning Leather

  • Michael Walden
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      OK, here is a slight challenge. I have a leather pouch I have put a
      lot of work into, and it has aquired a pen mark. I am looking for a
      way to remove it.

      Thanks

      Michael
    • The Dudleys
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Greetings Michael,

        A couple things that would make a difference: What type of pen, e.g. ink
        or Sharpie? Did it leave a groove or just an ink line? Is the leather in
        question tooling veg tan or sueded chrome tan? Is the leather raw or
        stained/dyed? Has the leather been sealed yet, e.g. acrylic in its many forms?

        If possible, take a piece of scrap and recreate the stain/ink mark. Then
        experiment until you find something that works.

        Be very careful with solvents, they can spread the stain. I tend toward
        the mild abrasive qualities of a pink eraser. I just removed Sharpie ink
        from a piece of unsealed leather with one. If the leather is sealed, I use
        kitchen (green) or polishing grade (white) Scotchbrite to carefully remove
        the sealer around the offending stain. Then I use the eraser and
        reseal. Scotchbrite also works great for completely removing acrylic from
        larger areas needing rework of some kind.

        I've had very little success removing blue ink where a ball point has left
        a groove. As a last resort, consider stamping or tooling over the mark to
        camouflage it. Once again, try it on scrap first. If the piece has been
        antique stained instead of dyed, I've also had a certain amount of luck
        making black ink look like just another personality mark in the leather.

        Good luck, and let us know if you find any "magical" solutions to a common
        problem.

        Best regards,
        Friedrich Breckner
        Favour Leather Works

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
          At 07:16 PM 9/30/2007, Michael wrote:
          >OK, here is a slight challenge. I have a leather pouch I have put a
          >lot of work into, and it has aquired a pen mark. I am looking for a
          >way to remove it.

          What kind of pen, and what is the finish on the leather?

        • Michael Walden
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@...>
            wrote:

            > At 07:16 PM 9/30/2007, Michael wrote:
            > >OK, here is a slight challenge. I have a leather pouch I have put a
            > >lot of work into, and it has aquired a pen mark. I am looking for a
            > >way to remove it.

            OK, my bad. The ink is from a gel pen (I don't know how long it has
            been there prior to my finding it). The leather is a Stoned Oil
            Cowhide Side-Tan (Tandy Stk # 9070-04). The pouch is already finished
            or I would just replace the gusset (the stitching was done with hand
            split sinue). Any idea would be helpfull. I do have scrap to test out
            ideas on.

            Thanks

            Michael Walden
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
              At 12:01 PM 10/3/2007, Michael Walden wrote:
              >OK, my bad. The ink is from a gel pen (I don't know how long it has
              >been there prior to my finding it). The leather is a Stoned Oil
              >Cowhide Side-Tan (Tandy Stk # 9070-04). The pouch is already finished
              >or I would just replace the gusset (the stitching was done with hand
              >split sinue). Any idea would be helpfull. I do have scrap to test out
              >ideas on.

              For gel pen ink, try alcohol on a q-tip first. That sounds like one
              of the partially oil treated leathers, and it may not have penetrated
              the surface. You may have to use your scrap to test (set the test
              inkspot with a hair dryer so that it's fully cured. Gel ink is very
              different when it's fresh than when it's set).