Book Satchels Question

  • Medb
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2007
      Hello all (coming out of lurk mode),

      I've been doing some research on Irish book satchels in preparation
      for making one, but I'm having trouble figuring out what type/weight
      of leather was used. Are there any sources out there that actually
      mention this?

      Thanks
      Medb
    • R Schooley
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2007
        Hello,

        I made a book sachel myself last year and the very
        best source out there on them is an article by John
        Waterer "Irish Book Satchels or Budgets" from Medival
        Archeology volume XII(pages 70-82). It includes
        information on the weight of leather used,
        construction techniques and patterns for them. If you
        have a hard tme finding the article, let me know and I
        can send you a copy.

        Noemi

        --- Medb <jkwyatt@...> wrote:

        > Hello all (coming out of lurk mode),
        >
        > I've been doing some research on Irish book satchels
        > in preparation
        > for making one, but I'm having trouble figuring out
        > what type/weight
        > of leather was used. Are there any sources out
        > there that actually
        > mention this?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Medb

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2007
          I wouldn't mind a copy of the article.

          Thanks

          Dennis

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, R Schooley <feketenoemi@...>

        • GrimaldR@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2007
            In a message dated 5/4/2007 8:30:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            aidan00@... writes:

            .

            I wouldn't mind a copy of that myself please.

            -Grimald

          • R Schooley
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2007
              I think I've caught all the requests for copies of the
              Waterer article on the Irish Book Satchels. If I
              missed anyone, or if anyone else would like a copy
              please email me privately at this email so we don't
              gum up the group with requests.

              Noemi

              http://mail.yahoo.com