New files uploaded

  • Lady Czina Angielczyka
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2007
      Greetings!

      I've uploaded 2 word documents of articles I entered in Caid's
      Pentathlon (SCA A&S competition). One is a research paper on medieval
      leather decoration, the other is a 'how-to' article to make a scabbard
      in the style in the Museum of London Knives and Scabbards collection.

      In terms of the pictures I used for the research paper - I don't have
      them in electronic format, but there is a list of pictures that were
      referenced included in the paper. The pictures for the 'how-to'
      article were imbedded, which is why it takes awhile to load.

      I have the judging forms for both works, but none of the judges (as
      far as I can tell) are leather experts. I would like to get the
      opinions/critiques from people who have experience working in leather,
      as well as researching it.

      Some of the criticism from the judges seems to be from lack of
      knowledge of the subject, while other comments are stylistic issues
      (inline documentation vs. footnotes, etc.) One judge (on the research
      paper) thought I should have qualified some assertions/conclusions
      with "in my experience/what I've seen" - but that seems to be the only
      'issue' with the information/comparisons/conclusions in the paper.

      Just as background - the papers had a limit of 15 pages, double
      spaced, not including bibliographies and pictures. So while there is a
      LOT more information that could be added, there were contraints as to
      what would fit. If there are areas where information should be
      expanded/more details/etc. - that is certainly a possibility for a
      second incarnation.

      It has been suggested to have these published in a Kingdom or Society
      publication (TI or CA, for example) - but I'd like more critique from
      experts on leatherwork before I would consider it. I don't claim to be
      the most knowledgable on the subject, obviously - and I don't want to
      be propagating errors or leaving out vital information, either.

      Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process
      of moving, so if you email me, and don't get a response right away -
      that's why. This is not a 'right away' project, so there's not hurry.

      Thank you,

      Cynthia Sebolt
      Czina Angielczyka
      Barony of the Angels (for 2 weeks), Caid
      Barony of Bjornsborg (in 2 weeks), Ansteorra
    • Susan/Selene
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2007
        What does anyone else know about this? I happened to run by Standing
        Bear last weekend and got an earfull of this!

        http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/LeatherDyesFinishes.html

        My usual Leathermongers, Red and Cynna have not mentioned anything
        about it. Is Bear just blowing smoke or is this for real?

        Concerned, Selene
      • Robert Huff
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2007
          Susan/Selene writes:

          > What does anyone else know about this? I happened to run by
          > Standing Bear last weekend and got an earfull of this!
          >
          > http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/LeatherDyesFinishes.html
          >
          > My usual Leathermongers, Red and Cynna have not mentioned
          > anything about it. Is Bear just blowing smoke or is this for
          > real?

          Real at least to the extent other internet vendors are signing
          almost exaxtly the same tune.
          Is there anyone here from California who can fill in some
          background, specifically which chemicals are now verboten?

          Diego "living in Massachusetts" Mundoz
        • Lady Czina Angielczyka
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2007
            Yes, the standard dyes, glues, and finishes (not all, but many) are
            not compliant in the state of California, if they are bottled after
            2006. The list of chemicals includes all spirit dyes, all oil-dyes,
            all aerosol cans, all contact and rubber cements, and the Fiebings
            Antique paste. Tandy Leather Factory label brands are affected the
            same as Fiebings brands, although the Tandy Antique Stain is NOT on
            the list. Standing Bear's list is accurate, as far as I can tell.

            The current stock in the Tandy Leather Factory locations in California
            ARE compliant, having been bottled before 2007, and are available to
            the retail customer. In terms of Standing Bear's stock - they should
            ALSO be in compliance, if they order their supplies from the Tandy
            Leather Factory locations in California.

            Because of this issue, Tandy Leather Factory has been working on a
            whole line of 'Eco-Flo(tm)' chemicals. They will be rolling out very
            soon - within the next month or so. Red saw examples of them last
            month, and he said they are as good, if not better, than what is
            currently out there. There will be a whole new line of colors in both
            dyes, antiques, pastes, and paints. Top R&D people at TLF have given
            their stamp of approval.

            In terms of getting the original Fiebing's chemicals - from what I
            understand, they are not shipping consumer quantities into the state
            of California. Tandy Leather Factory will still sell the larger
            quantities (Gallons of dye and contact cements), but only to people
            with valid Seller's permits/business licenses on file, and all
            purchasers are required to sign a form stating they are not buying
            such chemicals for resale to the retail public.

            That's as much information as I know at the moment. Right now, there
            is no issue with supply of these products, bottled in 2006 (standard
            in the TLF 2007 catalog), as far as I know. Once the supply of
            chemicals bottled in 2006 have run out, they will no longer be available.

            Note - this information is strictly related to Tandy Leather Factory's
            supply of such chemicals. Other suppliers may have different supplies
            on hand. Also - since Red and I have been in the process of moving to
            Texas, this information is good as of the middle of April. The new
            chemicals may be already in the stores, although I don't think so.

            In Service,
            Cynthia Sebolt/Czina Angielczyka
            Tandy Leather Factory, Baldwin Park, CA
          • khailil1180@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2007
              It's true, All dyes have to be water based so they can be sold in
              california. Fiebings made an entire new line of dyes just to sell in
              california. Is you want the old stuff, you will have to smuggle it in to
              the state.

              As far as red and Cynna go, they are busy right now Moving here to San
              Antonio. Taking over The Tandy location Near My House. Rock on.
              >> What does anyone else know about this? I happened to run by
              >> Standing Bear last weekend and got an earfull of this!
              >>
              >> http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/LeatherDyesFinishes.html
              >>
              >> My usual Leathermongers, Red and Cynna have not mentioned
              >> anything about it. Is Bear just blowing smoke or is this for
              >> real?
              >
              > Real at least to the extent other internet vendors are signing
              > almost exaxtly the same tune.
              > Is there anyone here from California who can fill in some
              > background, specifically which chemicals are now verboten?
              >

              > Diego "living in Massachusetts" Mundoz

            • Leather Work
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2007
                It is your California Big Brother Legislator�s looking out for your
                interests.

                All those things on �Bears� list aint no problem� Fieblings and Tandy dies
                are junk anyways compared to Lincoln Dyes..

                I have to go �fetch� my dyes from MacPhereson�s in Seattle. Them �volatile�
                shipping requirements get too expensive to get them any other way. From
                dyes to Barge cements and thinners in quarts.

                Looking for a supplier for these superior dyes? Goto
                http://lincolnshoepolish.com/ send em an email they will be glad to let you
                know the nearest source for you.

                Charles

                scaka Lazarus

                Mount Vernon WA

                See some of my work HYPERLINK "http://home.comcast.net/~lthrwrk"here.

                _____

                What does anyone else know about this? I happened to run by Standing
                Bear last weekend and got an earfull of this!

                HYPERLINK
                "http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/LeatherDyesFinishes.html"http://www.sbears
                tr-adingpost.-com/LeatherDyesF-inishes.html

                My usual Leathermongers, Red and Cynna have not mentioned anything
                about it. Is Bear just blowing smoke or is this for real?

                Concerned, Selene

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                PM

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                PM

              • Henry Plouse
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2007
                  Thank you - and to all the others who have provided information on this issue. While, fortunately, I am spared, by a matter of but a few miles, from living in California, I am there often enough that it is important that I know that anything I may need while down there either may not be available or may not be compatible with what I have.

                  Then again, we are talking about California - a state famous for its sandy beaches and home to millions of acres of sandy desserts, which nonetheless insists that bags of sand be labelled with a warning to the effect that "WARNING: This bag of sand contains silica, which the State of California has determined to be an environmental hazard which has been implicated in the development of cancer..."

                  Sand? Sand requires a WARNING? And, umm, I'm sorry, but did anyone tell the State of California that silica is the single most common element on the freakin' planet? I mean, like somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% by mass? Do Californians wear respirators on the beach? Is grass (which contains significant silica) required to have a warning label (e.g., "The State of California has determined that my yard is a biohazard...")? Am I the only one who perceives, perhaps, an element of overreaction here which may be impacting this, admittedly, more parochial issue as well?

                  I do so love the Middle Ages, when people had more important things to worry about than leather dyes and sand...

                  YOS,
                  ALRIC.