History Channel Programs -

  • mmagnusol
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 3:14 PM
      Wednesday, May 2, 2007

      7-8pm -- Modern Marvels - Leather.
      Sometime at the dawn of civilization, animal hides were rubbed down
      with animal fat, making them more flexible, durable, and malleable. By
      the 5th Century BC, this "tanning" process expanded to include
      vegetable and tree oil washes, creating what's now known as
      "leather"--one of man's most reliable and versatile products. Without
      advances in leather shoes, the Romans could never have marched to the
      Tigris; nor could the Pilgrims have survived winters in Plymouth.
      Today, leather is a staple of our daily lives. Modern tanners have
      devised techniques to make leather more versatile, colorful, and
      luxurious than ever. We visit modern tanneries of conventional cowhide
      leather, and explore the more exotic leathers made from alligator,
      snakes, and even sting-ray. And we'll examine the race of modern
      science to create synthetic leathers that are supposedly more
      convenient in today's fast-paced life. We'll see how leather binds us
      to the past in an unparalleled way.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Thursday, May 3, 2007

      7-8pm -- Modern Marvels - Torture Devices.
      For more than 3,000 years, emperors and generals, dictators and
      police, criminals, clerics, and even medical doctors have created and
      used a vast array of torture devices--everything from the ancient
      Greeks' Brazen Bull, which slowly barbecued the victim, to the
      elaborate mechanical apparatuses of the Spanish Inquisition. A medical
      doctor who specializes in victims of torture reveals how the human
      body responds to their use--from the earliest excruciating
      contrivances to the more modern.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Friday, May 4, 2007
      8-9pm -- Julius Caesar's Greatest Battle -
      In an 8-year campaign through what is now France, Julius Caesar killed
      one-million people, took a million more hostage, and destroyed more
      than 800 cities. Follow in the footsteps of Caesar and the leader of
      the Gallic uprising, Vercingetorix, as the bloody conflict in Gaul
      reaches its climax. In 52 BC at Alesia, Caesar and Vercingetorix lead
      their armies into one of the greatest sieges in the history of
      warfare: a battle that will decide the fate of Gaul and shape the
      future of the entire Western World.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Saturday, May 5, 2007
      8-10pm -- Quest for Dragons -
      A spirited exploration of the history, science, and legend of the
      world's most notorious beast--the dragon, the best-known creature that
      never was. Throughout history, dragons influenced wars, science, art,
      and religion. They appear in almost every culture and many still
      believe in dragons. How could different cultures, isolated by geology
      and millennia, all invent the same creature? If the dragon is simply
      the product of our imagination, how could distant peoples, with no
      knowledge of each other, all invent the same beast? One of the reasons
      dragons are a perennial favorite is that even though they are the
      ultimate predator and antagonist, it's also fun to identify with them.
      In the end, we want to be the dragon as much as we may want to slay
      the dragon.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Monday, May 7, 2007
      9-10pm -- Cities of the Underworld - 06 - Rome's Hidden Empire
      Rome is a city where the past meets the present on every corner. A
      secret cult practiced right next to the Circus Maximus, and their
      temple still remains beneath the street. The famous Piazza Navona sits
      on top of Domitian's Stadium. Pieces of Trajan's Basilica can be found
      under a gallery owned by fashion dynasty Fendi. Rome's underground is
      filled with evidence of life during the Empire. Join host Eric Geller
      as he discovers what life was like during Nero's tyranny and Augustus'
      reforms and reveals the technological marvels that allowed the
      construction of one city upon another--literally.
      \xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Friday, May 11, 2007
      10-11pm -- Modern Marvels - Bombs.
      Bombs...the most feared and powerful weapon in any nation's arsenal.
      What began as incendiary devices in the 7th century has evolved into
      weapons that can literally blow the human race off the face of the
      earth! From the use of diseased carcasses flung over castle walls to
      Greek Fire to today's smart bombs, we review the evolution of bombs.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Saturday, May 12, 2007
      8-10pm -- Nostradamus: 500 Years Later -
      The life story of Nostradamus unfolds in medieval Europe at the time
      of the Great Plague and the Inquisition. He lived in an age of
      superstition and magic and believed that he could foretell the future.
      For this he was labeled both a prophet and a heretic, and his cryptic
      journals continue to inspire controversy just as they did in the 16th
      century. In this two-hour examination of his life, we visit his
      birthplace in France and trace his career as doctor, astrologer,
      father, and seer.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Sunday, May 13, 2007
      10-11pm -- Cities of the Underworld - 04 - Scotland's Sin City
      Edinburgh, Scotland is a thriving metropolis, but take a look into its
      past, and you'll find it has led a double life. A sophisticated and
      educated surface city evolved above while a darker, seedy world grew
      below--from plague victims getting buried alive under the streets to
      body snatchers, illegal distilleries and castle dungeons. Join host
      Eric Geller as he investigates these stories, deciphering fact from
      fiction, while uncovering the engineering marvel of Edinburgh's
      underground--created when the city actually changed its street level.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Monday, May 14, 2007
      7-8pm -- Modern Marvels - Quarries.
      Dynamite explodes hills to bits, drills divide sheer stone walls,
      400,000-pound blocks are pulled from pits by giant cranes, and men
      work around the clock to wrest rock out of the earth. Not diamonds or
      gold...rock, the raw material of civilization! Without rock, modern
      society wouldn't exist. Roads, sewers, dams, bridges, buildings,
      paint, glue, make-up, antacids, and even chewing gum need crushed
      stone. From ancient days to the present, we explore the evolution of
      quarrying techniques.

      9-10pm -- Cities of the Underworld - 07 - Catacombs of Death
      Beneath the hustle and bustle of Paris streets are a world of snaking
      quarries, hidden catacombs, and mushroom-harvesting tunnels. Even
      Paris' 10.5 million residents have no idea they live on top of nearly
      20 centuries of history carved into the limestone foundation below.
      >From its Gallic beginnings to the Roman foundations of Lutetia,
      today's Paris may be one of the world's most sophisticated cities
      above the ground--but below ground it's a different story. Join host
      Eric Geller as he reveals the secrets beneath Paris and the Notre Dame
      church and what they reveal about a 2,000 year old civilization that
      rests underneath it.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Hope you enjoy some of these.

      Magnus
    • Robert Huff
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 5:36 PM
        mmagnusol writes:
        > Wednesday, May 2, 2007
        >
        > 7-8pm -- Modern Marvels - Leather.

        Seen it.
        Worth watching if you're sick a-bed and channel flipping.

        Robert Huff