[medieval-leather] Scabbards

  • Peter Adams
    Message 1 of 65 , Apr 10, 1999
      Friends,
      Who can cite the use of wooden slats in scabbards? I have the strong
      impression that they were often used in the Gothic English idiom, but I
      dont have any sources. Bob Charrette, who has posted on this list,
      mentioned also some sheaths specifically without slats. Any help here
      would be really appreciated.
      Peter

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
    • Helen Leaf
      Message 65 of 65 , Oct 31, 2004
        Hi James,

        In London there's a place called LAARC, which is the archive store for the
        Museum of London. They have a vast collection, and you can contact them to
        arrange to visit certain artefacts in advance. Maybe you could check what
        scabbards they have?

        http://mol.nethostinguk.com/laarc/index2.html

        It's a short walk away from Old Street tube station (on the Northern Line,
        'Bank' branch) so is fairly easy to get to. If there are any scabbards in
        the Museum of London, they are usually able to be 'visited' too, by prior
        arrangement

        Let us know how you get on!

        Helen