Re: What I do for a living

  • Ken Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
      Hi,

      Thanks to everyone who responded to my question, on or off list.

      Regarding that last post about automating the work. I agree and disagree: I
      agree that making bulk items is best done with automation, as is using the
      best tools available to get the job done. After many failed attempts to sew
      through 3/8" leather by hand (well, sewing awl) I finally had the idea of
      busting out my power drill. I can line up the holes better, cleaner, faster
      than my previous efforts. Likewise I discovered that store bought sewing
      machine needles fit into the sewing awl and I can accomplish much finer
      detail work that I might otherwise run from. I have also considered other
      automating options and "assembly line" weapons of mass construction :)

      I disagree in that, at least for this list we have the debate of quantity
      vs. quality. The sewing needle idea mentioned above resulted in the bracers
      shown here http://www.btpdesigns.com/btp3002.htm
      Now I quoted and stuck to a price of $90 I believe it was made before I
      started based on a formula of materials to finished product- which works
      well for mass produced items. But the final analysis of 18 hours just sewing
      gave a total more around $200. Even if I could have used a sewing machine
      for this (which I then consider sewing and not leatherwork, two different
      skills) would I have made much more? The point is Most of the people here
      could probably whip out a leather bodice of ren-faire quality pretty easy
      and sell it cheap. But they would rather, from what I've seen go more
      towards producing an item of historica quality that could then sell to a
      collector or museum for 10X more.

      Not only is this idea of selling to museums one I never thought of before,
      but it reminds me that such quality of production is also what seperated the
      Lord of the Rings film from most fantasy films. Watch the special features,
      they made them work based on the types of techniques available, kinda like
      the ones discussed here.

      Thanks again everyone,
      Ken

      BTP Designs specializes in custom leather work. This includes, but is not
      limited too: Fetish, Journal Covers, SCA accessories, Chokers, and that item
      you were just thinking about! - http://www.btpdesigns.com
      Why work for decades making someone else rich, when you could start making
      yourself rich now!
      http://btpdesigns.usana.com

      Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place! �MSN Shopping
      Sales & Deals
      http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639