Fwd: Odd leatherworking request...

  • Saint Phlip
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
      Anybody know what he's talking about, or even, maybe, where they might
      be gotten in or near NYC?

      Wrom: FAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVR
      Date: Nov 4, 2006 3:10 PM
      Subject: Odd leatherworking request...
      To: Saint Phlip <phlip@...>

      Once upon a time, a lightly worn shoe heel or toe could have been
      built up with a small, crescent-shaped something like a tap made of
      rubber or plastic, first cemented and then lightly nailed in place to
      hold it in place while the cement cured. When it wore down you'd
      remove it with a heat gun and do it again...

      Said little insert/cappy things used to be available from a company
      called Hale Heels, now alleged to be outta bidness.

      I was wondering if you had any info on what these gizmos are actually
      called, and if anybody still makes them.

      I do realize that being a leatherworker doesn't necessarily make you
      an authority on shoe repair, but figured it does no harm to ask...

      Thanks!

      A.

      --
      Saint Phlip

      Heat it up
      Hit it hard
      Repent as necessary.

      Has anyone seen my temper?
      I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2006
        At 06:55 PM 11/4/2006, Saint Phlip wrote:
        >Anybody know what he's talking about, or even, maybe, where they might
        >be gotten in or near NYC?
        >
        >Wrom: FAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVR
        >Date: Nov 4, 2006 3:10 PM
        >Subject: Odd leatherworking request...
        >To: Saint Phlip <phlip@...>
        >
        >Once upon a time, a lightly worn shoe heel or toe could have been
        >built up with a small, crescent-shaped something like a tap made of
        >rubber or plastic, first cemented and then lightly nailed in place to
        >hold it in place while the cement cured. When it wore down you'd
        >remove it with a heat gun and do it again...
        >
        >Said little insert/cappy things used to be available from a company
        >called Hale Heels, now alleged to be outta bidness.
        >
        >I was wondering if you had any info on what these gizmos are actually
        >called, and if anybody still makes them.
        >
        >I do realize that being a leatherworker doesn't necessarily make you
        >an authority on shoe repair, but figured it does no harm to ask...
        >
        >Thanks!
        >
        >A.
        >
        >--

        I have a vague memory of those things being called "Taps".

      • T Goat
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
          I used to get my supplies from a shoe repair supply
          company in Kansas City called Konomo's. Funny old
          place- just one story, but I think it had about seven
          basements, all full of (relatively) obscure odds and
          ends, and I'm just sure that I saw boxes of the things
          you're asking about, and this wasn't more than ten
          years ago. It would really surprise me if NYC didn't
          have a place like Konomo's- maybe try looking for
          'shoe repair supply' or just a friendly cobbler?

          Happy hunting

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com