Leather Vessels

  • akathan@wi.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      I had the good fortune last summer to take a trip that included the
      Royal Ontario Museum. Thanks to the guidance of some of the members
      of this list, I was able to arrange to meet with the curator of the leather
      vessels collection. I was allowed to handle and photograph several
      vessels that were not on display. I have photographs of undersides
      and insides and so on, which I will be presenting at Pennsic. I am
      hoping that more knowledgeable people than I will attend and together
      we can learn more about what they did and how they did it from the
      photographic evidence.

      I will be showing and telling Monday the 14th at 3:00 and Friday
      the 18th at 1:00. I hope to see some of you there and meet you.

      --Corin

      BTW, I'm certain that they have 2 objects from the Fieldhouse collection.
      They are just too distinctive not to be.

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Brigdon, Floyd
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        Do you suppose that after Pennsic you could post them to the group so that us poor slobs who can't make it to the war can at least get a look at your pictures? (I will spare you the sniffling and the puppy dog eyes. Don't make me break out the Quivering Lip (tm)....). I have been thinking for a while about trying to make a leather flask and this sounds like just the inspiration I have been hoping for...

        Floyd

        ________________________________

        I had the good fortune last summer to take a trip that included the
        Royal Ontario Museum. Thanks to the guidance of some of the members
        of this list, I was able to arrange to meet with the curator of the leather
        vessels collection. I was allowed to handle and photograph several
        vessels that were not on display. I have photographs of undersides
        and insides and so on, which I will be presenting at Pennsic. I am
        hoping that more knowledgeable people than I will attend and together
        we can learn more about what they did and how they did it from the
        photographic evidence.

        I will be showing and telling Monday the 14th at 3:00 and Friday
        the 18th at 1:00. I hope to see some of you there and meet you.

        --Corin

        BTW, I'm certain that they have 2 objects from the Fieldhouse collection.
        They are just too distinctive not to be.

        http://mail2web.com/ <http://mail2web.com/> .

      • Thomas Thurman
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          What a wonderful opportunity! Would there be any chance post-Pennsic of
          posting the pics (or a selection of them)? Alas, Pennsic is not in my
          future this year :(

          Thanks

          Brian

          > I had the good fortune last summer to take a trip that included the
          > Royal Ontario Museum. Thanks to the guidance of some of the members
          > of this list, I was able to arrange to meet with the curator of the
          > leather
          > vessels collection. I was allowed to handle and photograph several
          > vessels that were not on display. I have photographs of undersides
          > and insides and so on, which I will be presenting at Pennsic. I am
          > hoping that more knowledgeable people than I will attend and together
          > we can learn more about what they did and how they did it from the
          > photographic evidence.
          >
          > I will be showing and telling Monday the 14th at 3:00 and Friday
          > the 18th at 1:00. I hope to see some of you there and meet you.
          >
          > --Corin
          >
          > BTW, I'm certain that they have 2 objects from the Fieldhouse collection.
          > They are just too distinctive not to be.

          > http://mail2web.com/ .

        • Al Muckart
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
            On Wednesday 02 August 2006 06:03, akathan@... wrote:

            Hi Corin,

            > I had the good fortune last summer to take a trip that included the
            > Royal Ontario Museum. Thanks to the guidance of some of the members
            > of this list, I was able to arrange to meet with the curator of the leather
            > vessels collection. I was allowed to handle and photograph several
            > vessels that were not on display. I have photographs of undersides
            > and insides and so on, which I will be presenting at Pennsic.

            Do you have any notes on your observations? I'm especially interested in the
            observed state of the sealants on the inside and outside of the vessels you
            looked at. Were they heavily pitched on the inside? How were the outsides
            treated? Were any of the vessels you looked at drinking-size or were they all
            serving jugs?

            Thanks.
            --
            Al
            http://where.else.net.nz
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
              Yes, I have observations. Lining is one of the things that I took particular note of.
              Last question first. Yes, there was a drinking-size leather tankard. It was one of those
              silver-rimmed items and more than just the rim was silver. It was a complete silver insert.
              Ht 5.625" and diam of 3". It had the sort-of fish-tail handle that can be seen throughout
              "Black Jacks and Leather Bottels". It was made from leather about 3/16" inch
              thick (12 oz.) The handle had no inserts, it is just two thicknesses of leather sewn
              together; so about 3/8" thick.

              Regarding the other vessels. None of them have any evidence of an applied lining. By
              "applied", I mean a visible layer such as pitch. The seams can be seen on the inside.
              This includes a bombard, a simple cup or beaker, a barrel-shaped bottle with a large
              square hole cut through the side (apparently the work of an early curator) and a
              bourdalou. The bourdalou showed a white-ish area on the inside surface which the
              conservator present described as 'bloom', which is something wax does.

              The bourdalou, which is shaped somewhat like a gravy boat, was described by the
              curator with no great assurance as for the use of ladies at excessively long masses.
              Strangely, for a vessel used to hold liquid, the handle was riveted on.
              --Corin