Re: [medieval-leather] Scived on both sides

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15 4:46 PM
      At 02:15 AM 6/15/2006, Anna T wrote:
      >I bought a huge hide of cow leather from ebay at a
      >good price. What I didn't recon with was that it had
      >been scived on BOTH sides! It's barely 2 mm thick ans
      >kind of stiff. Any ideas what can be made from it
      >except middle soles?

      It's a mid-split. When they spilt a hide down for a thinner top-grain,
      that's the piece that is typically used to make the embossed and coated
      leathers.

      Try giving it a wet-tear test. If it doesn't tear too easily, you can take
      a wire brush to the better side and use it as a "buff" leather. Otherwise,
      you have great supply of leather to use for mid-soles and things like welts
      and filler pieces.