Re: [medieval-leather] Scived on both sides

  • Anna Troy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
      --- khailil1180@... wrote:

      > Sounds like you have a veg tan spilt. Is it
      > natural in color and rough on
      > both sides, like suede?

      That's probably what it is. No wonder that it was so
      cheap. Maybe I can do some Cuir bouli experiments.

      Anna T

      "So many books, so little time"

      "Anna's Crafts Links Page" HAS MOVED to:
      http://annat.net/ac
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
        At 02:15 AM 6/15/2006, Anna T wrote:
        >I bought a huge hide of cow leather from ebay at a
        >good price. What I didn't recon with was that it had
        >been scived on BOTH sides! It's barely 2 mm thick ans
        >kind of stiff. Any ideas what can be made from it
        >except middle soles?

        It's a mid-split. When they spilt a hide down for a thinner top-grain,
        that's the piece that is typically used to make the embossed and coated
        leathers.

        Try giving it a wet-tear test. If it doesn't tear too easily, you can take
        a wire brush to the better side and use it as a "buff" leather. Otherwise,
        you have great supply of leather to use for mid-soles and things like welts
        and filler pieces.