Sealing leather cups

  • Chris Nickel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2006
      I will be starting a project to make some leather cups very soon and I
      was trying to think of a way to seal them.
      Normally I would just use bee's wax or brewer's pitch, however I was
      thinking it might be nice to seal them with something that would allow
      for a hot drink.
      Does anyone have any sugestions?
      Thanks
    • Will
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
        How stiff is the leather you are working with? IF it is thick and
        doesn't bend while in use you could probably use a food grade epoxy
        such as envirotex. I have used it in brinking horns and it works
        great. Hope this helps.

        Will
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Nickel" <cnickel1@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
          At 01:49 PM 5/31/2006, Chris Nickel wrote:
          >I will be starting a project to make some leather cups very soon and I
          >was trying to think of a way to seal them.
          >Normally I would just use bee's wax or brewer's pitch, however I was
          >thinking it might be nice to seal them with something that would allow
          >for a hot drink.
          >Does anyone have any sugestions?

          If you are going for pure function, I've had a lot of success with the
          Envirotex Light product. It's the epoxy materialoften used for sealing bar
          and table tops. Put the finished item in a warmish place for a while to
          let the volatiles bake out.