Fw: [EKMetalsmiths] Documentation on Metal Needles / Clothing Forms

  • marilyn traber 011221
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2006
      Anybody here have more information on either topic? Or, you can post her to
      get what she knows. When, for leathersmithing, did the transition start
      occuring from awls and boar bristle needles, to awls and metal needles?

      Seems to me, too, that a clothing form is a sensible extention of boot and
      shoe lasts, for those leatherworkers that would make leather clothing or
      armor- do we have any evidence in our craft? If so, when?

      Phlip

      From: Carowyn Silveroak <silveroak@...>
      Subject: [EKMetalsmiths] Documentation on Metal Needles / Clothing Forms

      Greetings!

      Please feel free to forward where applicable.

      At some point in time, a while (years) ago, someone asked about
      documentation for metal needles in period. I can't remember who, but I
      remember what!

      I now have 2 bits of information on that topic, which I'm planning to put
      up on our shire's website soon in our "fun documentation we've stumbled
      over and we know someone's looking for it" section.

      I also found documentation for a clothing form / dummy in period, where
      two people are sewing a tunic from opposite sides.

      If any of these things sound interesting / familiar, please let me know,
      and I'll make sure to send you the URL when they go up!

      -Carowyn, catching up on old promises....