Re: Medieval Leather Tools

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2006
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Filip De Clercq"
      <filipdc@...> wrote:
      > >My impression has been that on the knives I know of that
      > > have that shape, the edge is on the inside arc, not the outside.
      > >>And how would you cut with a knife with the edge on the inside arc?
      > >>Filip

      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/RESEARCH/SHOEMAKER/IMAGES/mend6.jpg
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/RESEARCH/SHOEMAKER/IMAGES/dinkelsbuehl.jpg
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/RESEARCH/SHOEMAKER/IMAGES/mend16.jpg

      Personally I draw it towards me.

      And yes, if you use it like a pen, it's a far more precise tool than a
      round knife.

      I know they've been found in London, and rumor has it one's been found
      in Jamestown.

      Marc
    • ren_junkie
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2006
        So, it's actually for shaping, rather than incising for decoration?

        Christopher

        > Personally I draw it towards me.
        >
        > And yes, if you use it like a pen, it's a far more precise tool than a
        > round knife.
        >
        > I know they've been found in London, and rumor has it one's been found
        > in Jamestown.
        >
        > Marc

      • R Schooley
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2006
          Hello all. I just finished up the book satchel I was
          working on and have some pictures online.

          http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v150/feketenoemi/Satchel/

          You'll have to excuse how out of focus the first
          picture is I left it in to show the length of the
          stap. Also excuse my messy dining room table that
          shows up in most of the pictures.

          Noemi

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2006
            Knice knotwork!

            Tim
          • Anna Troy
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2006
              Drool, me want.,,

              Anna T

              --- R Schooley <feketenoemi@...> wrote:

              > Hello all. I just finished up the book satchel I was
              > working on and have some pictures online.

              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v150/feketenoemi/Satchel/

              > You'll have to excuse how out of focus the first
              > picture is I left it in to show the length of the
              > stap. Also excuse my messy dining room table that
              > shows up in most of the pictures.
              >
              > Noemi

              "So many books, so little time"

              "Anna's Crafts Links Page" HAS MOVED to:
              http://annat.net/ac
            • Susan Fox
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3, 2006
                > Hello all. I just finished up the book satchel I was
                >working on and have some pictures online.

                >http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v150/feketenoemi/Satchel/

                Noemi, my very sincere compliments on your Satchel Page! <grin, duck, run>

                OK, I could not resist the pun but the sentiment is sincere. Now I want
                one, this is a pretty simple design isn't it? With a couple of pockets, I
                would happily use it for everyday purse duty.

                Selene Colfox
                selene@...
              • R Schooley
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Selene said:

                  > Noemi, my very sincere compliments on your Satchel
                  > Page! <grin, duck, run>
                  >
                  > OK, I could not resist the pun but the sentiment is
                  > sincere. Now I want one, this is a pretty simple
                  > design isn't it?

                  It is a simple design, just a large piece with two
                  gussets, but the construction was a bit interesting
                  since I was working off of Waterer's excellent article
                  on the three existing examples. I did the seams the
                  way he described the originals having been done with
                  the raw edges rolled in. It took soaking the pieces
                  entirely, pre-punching the stitching holes with my
                  awl, a lot of careful sewing and some cussing to get
                  it done since at the end I had to sew my seams really
                  loosely and then go back and tighten them. I just
                  added a picture of the side that turned out the best
                  to the album, but a direct link is below.

                  http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v150/feketenoemi/Satchel/?action=view¤t=Satchel.jpg

                  I did modify the design a bit from the existing
                  examples just because I didn't want to tackle too many
                  new techniques in one project.

                  > With a couple of pockets, I would happily use it
                  > for everyday purse duty.

                  I'm not sure if I'll use it as an every day purse, but
                  I'm definitely going to use it for events.

                  Noemi

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • rmhowe
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 24, 2006