Re: tools

  • Ana Deissler
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 11:16 AM
      Erm, you hold it like a pen, with the cutting edge facing towards you and
      then you pull rather than push? I have not tried but have just placed an
      order for such knives to try exactly that.
      I expect that it is less likely that you accidentally cut too deep into the
      leather this way, when doing incision work because the main pressure is
      directed forward and upward?
      I will tell you more when I have practiced a bit.

      Which reminds me: If you are based in Britain, there is a new supplier for
      tools on the market.
      They have bought up the jigs and some old stock from their uncles who have
      closed down.
      The new owner is Colin Barnsley and he is now trading as Woodware
      Repetitions, 47 Mowbray St. Sheffield, S3 8EN, Tel. 0114 2726060
      "Knives and tools for the shoe, leather, rubber and allied industries.
      Traditional wooden handled knives. The real tools of your trade with top
      quality carbon steel blades made and honed in Sheffield."
      As you may have noticed, one by one all the suppliers for the shoe-making
      trade in Britain have closed down. These are to my knowledge the last ones
      in business. And Colin is very user-friendly and willing to sell smaller
      quantities than stated in their catalogue. Most quotes in their catalogue
      are by the dozen, but he will also sell individual items at a slightly
      higher price.
      They do lots of knives, some awls, awl handles, hammers, lasting and other
      pliers, other bits and pieces. The prices are very good. For example
      Saddlers Round Knife 5" blade £17.00, also known as head-knife and Osborne
      charge you for that approx. £40.00, so it's worth looking at.

      Cheers,
      Ana
    • steve pole
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006